Open Costing

So _everybody_ in the public sector has that problem, rather than only some. Explains a lot. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's the opposite out here in California. Many public sector employees get insanely fat pensions, courtesy of governor incompetence in the past in connection with union pandering. There's people raking in $200k/year and more, and they aren't very high up the ladder. This plus their super-generous health plans are the reason why California is already technically bankrupt.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If you decide to accept the mission John, you will be generously rewarded with a polo shirt that says "Team ABCD"

Martin Riddle

for some of the higher ups the big pension and health care is compensation for the lower pay and no stock options they could have gotten if they were in a private company, but deciding pay on public opinion, politics gets messy

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Not here, they also make beaucoup Dollars during the job and get paid sick leave and all sorts of other goodies that industry workers don't. If a town gets several thousand applications for one police force job something is wrong.

Many were given a whopping 50% pension increase under a previous governor (Gray Davis). That was a collossal mistake and now nobody has a clue how to pay for that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Normally, the initial contract should be considered to be a document that you mark up to your satisfaction and then send back.

This sounds like it's too far gone for that.

I'd call their contract person and explain that their contract is so far out of line that there's not even any sense in you marking it up. Tell the person that if they're really serious you'll be happy to spend some limited amount of time on the phone explaining why, or that you'll be happy to send them your standard contract so that they get a notion of what you do find reasonable.

I would not waste a huge amount of time on them, however -- there's only so far you can go to educate an idiot.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Still is!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Really? Lois Learner is pulling down $102K (for life) after being thrown out of her job for contempt of Congress. That's not peanuts any way you cut it.

Reply to
krw

You're wrong. Public sector jobs pay *more* than private sector jobs, now, and have *far* better retirement plans.

Reply to
krw

Just tell them that you think it would be fun but that your wife is the jealous type.

Reply to
krw

I don't know. I worked for a private corporation who derived most of their income from government contracts.We were paid somewhat above other smaller companies doing the same thing and we had excellent benefits. When the economy was down they put us on part time schedules and we could draw unemployment benefits one day a week so nobody got laid off. I liked the 3 day weekends every week and getting paid for the unemployed day. .It was just like working for the government, maybe better. My only regret was not taking enough paid sick time.

Bill Bowden

Perhaps that's true but it's a fact, nonetheless.

I don't know how you got unemployment insurance while still making a paycheck. That sounds illegal. It certainly is in every state I've lived. In any case, I don't know what that story has to do with the topic.

Reply to
krw

I was put in touch with someone regarding a lighting control once. The terms were similarly onerous with the acceptance at his full discretion. I tried to reason with him that no one would accept such open ended terms, but he felt he had been burnt and would not compromise, so I walked away. A couple of years later a friend needed work and I tried hooking them up. This guy had made *no* progress on it after all this time but would not budge an inch on the conditions. The idea was certainly not doing him much good.

Performance based royalty. I'm not even sure how that would work. Maybe you can share some details? My concern with something like that is if you make "performance" at all subjective, it will be hard to quantify. If you make it rigorous the client may not get what they really want. Trust goes a long way, but is hard to do in a corporate setting.

--

Rick
Reply to

That's easy. Someone has the job of managing the contracting process and needs to document that they are saving money.

How do you document that? If you can come to terms on what saving money is I can't see why they wouldn't agree.

--

Rick
Reply to

You just fill out a "Notice of Reduced Earnings" for the state. Here's an example form for California:

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's in Chinese or Japanese. This may be the one you wanted:

Steve Wilson

Ah, yes:

son para la semana de pago que termina en la fecha indicada en este formulario..."

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It's a resolution enhancement technology, so it's pretty easy to measure. So much for 1 node's worth of improvement (1.4x), so much for

2 nodes (2x), etc.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Could be by throughput, cycle time, reduced scrap, and so on.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Google translation:

"You must complete this section. These questions and answers are paid for the week ending on the date they indicated in this form ... " According to Wikipedia, the official language of California is English. However, many state, city, and local government agencies print official public documents in numerous languages:

I guess that's why the first link was in Chinese or Japanese. They probably have 30 other versions:)

Reply to
Steve Wilson