On Topic: Technological Question

Hello,

This has been a puzzlement for me for a while now. I have tried to google it to no avail. Somebody must know the answer so that is why I thought I will throw the question out on the floor here in the hopes somebody knows.

Ok, so when you rotate your iPhone or Android phone the picture follow the flip to keep the picture or app in a proper viewing position.

Similar things cause Radio Control Planes and Drones to know which way is up and automatically adjust to maintain control.

Yes, I know that it is possible and it works quite well to perform this bit of "magic".

THE QUESTION IS "What technology makes it happen??"

I want to say there is a ball of mercury floating in a IC Chip full of copper pins in a circle that respond to the mercury conducting current or electrons and some software reading these pins and telling the picture to roll or the plane or drone to change direction.

Well that makes sense but I know it is potentially wrong!!

So what kind of techno device does the work??

I can't imagine that it is atmospheric pressure.................

Ok, so anyone here have a clue or a hint or maybe a SOLID ANSWER??

Oh, if it is a Deep Dark Secret that can't be revealed due to serious legal ramifications then just say so. I might end my quest!! :-)

Ok, I now open the question to the floor!!

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

No mercury, but yes it is mechanical:

bitrex

You mean when the image is displayed sideways and you turn the phone to reorient the image to the correct orientation and the phone responds by rotating the image to keep it in the wrong orientation?

Yes, we all have seen that. This can be fixed by application of an appropriately sharp tool to the MEMS accelerometer.

Reply to
Rick C

That would basically make a very crude accelerometer, but an accelerometer is not going to tell you which way is up. In flight an accelerometer will only tell you which way the lift from the wings/rotors is pointing relative to the craft, this is probably not useful information.

To remeber which way is down you need a gyroscope,

Quality IMU parts are under export restriction I think, but so far as I know they are not top secret.

Jasen Betts

Jason,

Thanks Jason but this one won't fit in my iPhone. :-)

This one is more of what I was questioning. Thanks for the hint!!

I find it interesting to think that such a small device can read the smallest movement and respond accordingly.

Very cool stuff!!!

Thanks again!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Why? If you hold a flimsy sheet of paper in your hand, in a vacuum, don't you think it will deflect from the acceleration imparted by your hand as you move it *in* that environment?

We're talking about *tiny* devices "machined" finely. You tweek the dimensions/materials to get the response that you want given the stimuli you're looking to monitor.

Tablet presses (machines that make "pills" out of "powder") exert many *tons* of compressive force on the granulation (powder) as the tablet is being formed. It is important to measure the actual force as it gives you an indication of the volume of granulation in the (fixed geometry!) mold cavity; as force increases, so must the amount of compressed material!

You do this by instrumenting the rod that ties the upper and lower portions of the compression mechanism together and then measuring the deformation of that steel member, in real time.

Can you see the change? Measure it (statically) with a traditional "scale"? Nope. But, instrument it with a set of strain gauges and there's LOTS of signal to be seen!

Reply to
Don Y

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Jul 2021 07:42:23 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My drone has a 3 axis magnetic compass you have to calibrate before takeoff.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The IMU just reports accelerometer and gyro numbers to the processor. It's up to the processor to do something with it, such as come up with a vector direction for "down" or detect a tap, and the firmware is fairly involved. Bosch has some example code available, I believe. Quaternions are typically used- a kind of extension of complex numbers that waited since the 1800s to find a good application.

Gyros + accelerometers (3 axis each) are insufficient to give you complete information so some packages include 3-axis magnetometers (9 degrees of freedom total). That gives you accelerations, rotation rates and orientation.

For navigation (including weapons) we can either make a very accurate IMU that doesn't drift too much during the mission (seconds to tens of minutes perhaps) and/or we can augment the data with GNSS, terrain visual data or perhaps fix upon a star above the atmosphere.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany