ON TOPIC... Circuit Design

Here's a 7-8 year-old chip design...

It was designed for qrk/Mark who posts here from time-to-time.

I'll leave it to Mark to decide what to say about its functions before I elaborate. (The company, at least the Santa Barbara operations, are defunct... and it's beyond the NDA limit... but I'll still limit myself to whatever Mark thinks appropriate.)

("ToddBlock" is the VHDL-created stuff from another contractor.)

In the mean time, flip thru the 40 pages of schematics, muse, amass questions, and see if you can figure it all out ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Page Not Found

The page -

01_11_A.pdf

- does not exist.

Suggestions:

  • Check the spelling of the address you typed * If you are still having problems, please visit the Help Center

Google Home - Advertising Programs - Business Solutions - Privacy - About Google

Reply to
MooseFET

Why are you putting

in front of Jim's link?

FWIW, just clicking on the link in Jim's original post works fine for me.

Bob Pownall

Reply to
Bob Pownall

That's an easy one, Jim.

I recently saw an interview with a lady that worked on one of the ultra-secret project of WWII. After some prodding, she finally admitted that what she was working on was a machine that made the holes in donuts. That's obviously what you've done, too.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Yep, Isn't it amazing how on can make a simple task complicated ;-)

Hint on the posted circuit: It's a 4-channel sonar, with time-variable gain front-ends (for Joerg: much like an ultrasound), electronically-tune-able (calibrated) filters, etc. ...Jim Thompson

Potentially interesting circuit, but a bit too specific and large. Flipping through a 40 page PDF isn't very convienient.

Most people probably aren't deeply familiar with sonar. Could you be a bit more specific as to the kind of signals a sonar processor works with? What are the advantages to this circuit over other DSPs? (Aha, but that's probably what's inside the VHDL blocks.)

Question: what's total transistor count excluding VHDL? How many gates / blocks inside the VHDL? (Or how many gates / transistors does it synthesize to?)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Looks to me suspiciously like a correlator for chirp radar or sonar with some level of beam steering and tracking filters. Four maybe five sensors. Were they in a 0,1,4,6 configuration to get maximum resolution and no redundancy or equispaced 0,1,2,3 ?

Are you sure there is nothing on there that is classified?

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

More and more people think, that the Internet was invented by MS and is being run by Google. Consequently they type anything starting with "http://" into Google's search page.

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

The company still exists, even in SB (skeleton crew left). However, they are so mired in upper level management gratification they don't function effectively.

Reply to
qrk

Hi, Mark,

It was really a shame to see them go so downhill.

Do you still have contact with Philippe? ...Jim Thompson

He's posting from Google Groups.

Whenever you click on a link on Google even when doing a search it has

before the actual URL.

Google been doing this for a couple months now. I don't know what the purpose is but even when you click on a link that you get from a Google search it always has

then the actual address.

Reply to
Hammy

[snip]

Compiling statistics would be my guess.

Reply to
JW

Did that design make it through fab, Jim, or did the company start imploding first?

I thought that combined bipolar/CMOS ("BiFET?") processes were generally considered too exotic/unnecessary-due-to-performance-improvements-in-CMOS these days? Not so?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

It was fabbed at Polarfab. The company began disintegration while debugging the digital was in progress.

Not so for analog. Try making a low noise amplifier with only CMOS. Try making a TVG that is stable/predictable over temperature.

For quality, bipolar ROCKS ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Hi Jim,

Looks like a nice place.

Have you done any ICs through TriQuint? They seem to be making an effort to be quite inexpensive (relatively speaking) for low quantities, and advertise some nice RF processes.

Yeah, so I've been learning (e.g., oscillators with BJTs easily beat the phase noise of those with FETs) -- when I went to school, BJTs was all but forgotten, unfortuntaely. (And of course toobs were just a historical footnote!)

It seems as though all of your bits *could* have been bipolar, with just the digital goodies CMOS? Or were you trying to be power efficient or somesuch and hence used CMOS whenever you could too?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yep. Very high quality.

No. But I'll look into what they have to offer.

I landed at MIT just at the switch from tooobs to bipolar transistors.

CMOS current mirrors have no base current ;-)

Yes. And you can't beat CMOS for analog switches. ...Jim Thompson

As long as it takes its medicine on time, every time. ;-)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

I knew a bipolar fellow at Honeywell Satellite Division. He bought one of those Ford trucks where they used plastic tubing for the fuel line.

He was so paranoid he carried a hand gun under the seat.

It caught fire on his way to Tucson, and the fire department wouldn't go near it because of the gunfire.

It burned all the way down to a puddle.

His tirade was quite amusing ;-) ...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Damn! I just remembered his name: "AlwaysWrong" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson a écrit :

Have a look at AD8605. Just amazing.

--
Thanks,