Oldest Grandchild Graduates from High School

[snip]

Her biggest shock cam when a restaurant bought one of her championship goats... she almost went into shock, but that's per the rules and she got over it.

...Jim Thompson

We have city-block-sized water reservoirs scattered around the city, for putting out fires after earthquakes. Most are grassy hills, and they keep them trimmed by goat.

And you can get excellent goat stew at a couple of the Salvadorian restaurants on Mission Street.

John

Unlucky goat. Championship goats belong in someplace like Los Angeles:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

See....

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: OT: Postcard - GraduationPostCardAndASUAbsentia.jpg Message-ID:

I didn't remember the wording quite right, but I found the postcard inside my diploma holder.

...Jim Thompson

Tulane gave me a little credit-card sized laminated reproduction of my diploma, for free! I can whip it out any time to impress taxi drivers and waiters.

Hey, they want me to endow a scholarship, and I'd get to have some say (recommendations, to be honest) about who would get it. I'm thinking about how I would describe a kid who likes real electronics, but not just computer stuff, and definitely not robotics. One of the advantages of the deal is that I would get to know and maybe some day hire such kid.

Post-Katrina, the suits at Tulane decided that the engineering school was a money loser (it didn't have brilliance or critical mass) so decided to dump it. Art History is a lot cheaper and easier to teach. Nick, the dean of engineering, was invited to be the dean of the Sciences college, and he accepted under the condition that he wouldn't be the guy who killed Tulane Engineering. So he came up with a plan: kids would take three years of sciences (physics, chemistry, or biology) at TU, then go to a real, serious engineering school and spend 2 more years there, and graduate with a dual degree. The other schools love it, because it gives them more non-doofus junior/senior students, which balances their huge freshman/sophmore washout rates.

I think this is a great idea. But I am lobbying for a freshman introduction-to-electronics course, AoE for Dummies, because I think that one's electronics instincts should be installed at as young an age as possible and, face it, everything is electronic these days.

John

would

I think your best bet would be the ham radio community. That's were the "real" electronics folks came from that I hung out with. Those guys built rather complicated projects before they even graduated from high school. And with built I mean it had to work under 24/2 continuous duty contest conditions, hanging on a sputtering and spike-spewing generator.

All the way from an audio compressor to a kilowatt level power amplifier. The only thing that could ever keep us from taking on a project was lack of funds, and even then we'd try to scavenge stuff at industrial junkyards.

It filled me with sadness when I read that in the papers one moring.

Fully agree on that one. With one addition: There should be a Weller station for everyone and it must be used.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Nice. So they charged you an absentia fee? $10 was a lot in them days. For a postcard?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

would

You mixed up the two... the postcard is from MIT, prior to graduation.

The Absentia Fee is from ASU (1968)... a fee for everything ;-)

...Jim Thompson

would

A guy I know got a (small-- 14,000 ft^2) building named after him. Only cost him $8M, IIRC, but that was a few years ago.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

would

Friday

$20K is the minimum to endow a scholarship, which would only be $1K per year to a student, but in theory it's forever. Maybe they could name a drinking fountain after me.

John

Jesus, John, did you bother going to the site to see what we are teaching these kids? Nobody said a GODDAMNED word about "computer electronics". Computer INTEGRATED Electronics, which means that we integrate the computer into the syllabus to teach the kids how to do the hand calculations of Xc and Xl but then show them how Excel can make it a bunch faster ... that laying out PC boards by hand can be oh-so-much-fun with tape and donuts (and who teaches THAT any more?) but that a schematic capture program later in our syllabus along with a linked pcb layout program is so much faster.

Before you say no, no, no, GO TO THE SITE to see what we are teaching these kids. We've got one of the preeminent "mechatronix" programs in this country ... teaching kids how to fix soda pop machines, ski lift mechanisms, slot machines, and all the rest of the stuff that requires analog, digital, and mechanical skills all wrapped up in one human package.

Some of them go on to engineering careers. Some stop at fixing blackjack machines. I graduated a kid yesterday that was hired first shot out of the box next Monday to work on deep sea exploring equipment ... at $50k a year, which ain't bad for a 2 year college graduate that couldn't wipe his nose when he entered the program a couple of years ago.

Read before you criticize.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Well, lessee ...

Took the necessary classes in fundamentals of instruction to pass the flight instructor certificate back in '71.

Took a couple of "how to teach" classes in the great electronics recession of '75 when it looked like becoming a high school teacher was the way to a stable employment career. Quit when they got so goddamned boring that I wanted to puke before every class.

As to "otherwise" ...

Started teaching aircraft maintenance in the community college system back in '75. Was mentored by a couple of wonderful professors who led me down the path of learning being an enjoyable experience for the students.

Switched to teaching aircraft ground school piloting in '78. Still have the enviable record of any student finishing my class passing the FAA written pilot examination 100%.

Switched to teaching community college electronics in 1980 and have been there ever since. Over the last 27 years perhaps 75 or 100 mini-classes (1-2 day) on leading edge teaching philosophy ... took half, taught the other half.

Out of a thousand teachers at my college, been teacher of the year, vp of the faculty, and all the rest of that stuff.

Just for curiousity, why do you ask?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

I looked, but your URL was the main page and it needs javascript or such for navigation.

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to

OK, then go to

then to Schedule of Classes, then Computer Integrated Electronics, then to CIE 001

Or browse the catalog from the edu page.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

would

Friday

We didn't get any of that. No prior cards, no ceremony, just a grayish postcard after the degree had issued. But boy did we throw a party.

Some famous guy once put it this way: Every advantage has its tax.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Did they have those birdbath things for washing hands at Tulane? I've always wanted a parkette named after me.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Because I'm dickering around with some teaching of a similar nature, and looking for pointers or whatever else could be helpful. I escorted a bunch of Grade 12 students around a trade show a week or two ago and found them a bit hard to manage (attention span of a gnat, etc.). These guys/gals will be older, and more motivated, but still..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I've been known to solder bulky items (brass connectors, etc.) with my brazing torch (a home made propane burner in 1/2" pipe, probably

10-100kBTU/hr in normal use), and use same to heat up the soldering iron to handle bulky joints (copper strap, pipe, etc.).

Tim

Tim Williams

That looks like a little horse track or car race track just to the south east of that airstrip.

Coordinates would allow for a google earth visit.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

That's nuts. It is so entrenched in mil communications that nearly everyone in such jobs knows, even the programmers... especially the programmers, since they don't have time to wait around for a tech or assembler to hook them up.

Aside from the fact that it is VERY easy to learn and know.

Reply to
The Great Attractor