Old analog oscilloscope

I picked this surplus 2 channel Kikusui analog scope at a surplus sale for a couple bucks:

%2032%2054%20PM.jpg?dl=0

It's nominally 60 Mhz bandwidth, but on the top it has a sticker that says the bandwidth is limited:

2033%2007%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Any way to un-limit it?

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

maybe it failed a cal test?

Sweep a generator into it and crank up the freq...

at 60Mhz the display should drop * .707 etc.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

It is probably just normal BW limitations of scopes in general.

Someone was nice enough to label the scope BW for acurate measurments.

Martin Riddle

I'd look for modifications in there. It is possible some company needed thi s and had it done. If this is how the scope came out the factory it would b e in line for a factory repair or replacement.

There are reasons for such things, as we know there is a 20 MHz limiter on alot of scopes to keep it from picking up to much hash.

It is hard to fathom a failure mode that would cause this. What do you thin k ? Some little trimmer caps go bad, opening up and in need of Deoxit ? Or perhaps them using peaking coils like old tube HF amps with a separate, byp assed other source putting inductance into the collector load or whatever ?

Hey, could happen in a scope.

What I am saying is to try to think "How the hell did this happen ?".

And one thing, it is possible that some guy named Cletus fixed the vertical output. I would give the thing a military inspection.

Reply to
jurb6006

In message , bitrex writes

The numbers look suspiciously close to the -1dB bandwidth or 90% accuracy. As another poster suggested, run a sweep on it before taking it apart.

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to

I have this same scope. for > 30 years!!! Its a work horse.

Some solder connections on the Vertical PWB will need to be re-heated and the molex connectors get internittent.

The HV seems to droop after it gets hot...

The operators manual is available on line but i have never found a schematic.

Do you by chance have one?

Mark

Reply to
makolber

It is a very nice scope for doing audio work. And for $30 the price was right. Everything seems to be in working order, but the connectors do seem a bit flakey.

I can't say how well it's calibrated, but it seems accurate enough.

Unfortunately I don't have a schematic...

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

Other nice features are a Z axis input and an output from Channel 1 to connectma frequency counter, on the back.

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

** The X axis input allows you to use a scope as a TV screen, with a green pix - long as you have a video signal or B&W TV set to pick signals from.

But I have not found another practical use for it.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

3-d Lissajous figures are cool!
Reply to
whit3rd

I actually did the TV thing many years ago just to show off.

Anyway, if you lack dual time base and want to analyse some data in a long string you might be able to find a gate pulse in the circuit to apply to th e Z axis and only view that portion, but at a faster sweep rate.

However I think that model does have dual time base in which case it is a m oot point.

I think my buddy might have a service manual for that though, I know he has one for a Kikosui but I am not sure it is that one. However he has two of them and might end up selling one to me. I have tinkered with it and it pre tty much works like a Tektronix as far as I can tell.

If I am not mistaken, the ones he has have a split function. That is where it displays the normal and secondary traces at the same time and you get a trace separation control. This gives it almost the functionality of a Tek 7 XX4 with two timebases installed. Or a dual beam.

In fact I still wonder just what a dual beam can do that for example a Tek

7834 can't. And now, with the way they can throw that beam around and switc h sources and all, I wonder what the 7834 can do that a scope with the spli t function can't.

All in all, I like the Tek control set a bit better, but the Kiko holds its own quite well. I might buy it off him, just have to get the haggling done .

Basically, thumbs up on this scope.

Reply to
jurb6006

as one for a Kikosui but I am not sure it is that one. However he has two o f them and might end up selling one to me. I have tinkered with it and it p retty much works like a Tektronix as far as I can tell.

If you do have any service info for this scope KIK COS 5060 or even a simil ar Kik scope, please let me (us) know. Luckily it hasn't needed any serio us troubleshooting so far. Just bad solder jonts and int. molex connectors that need to be reseated about once per year. Mark

Reply to
makolber

has one for a Kikosui but I am not sure it is that one. However he has two of them and might end up selling one to me. I have tinkered with it and it pretty much works like a Tektronix as far as I can tell.

ilar Kik scope, please let me (us) know. Luckily it hasn't needed any ser ious troubleshooting so far. Just bad solder jonts and int. molex connector s that need to be reseated about once per year.

BTW I just noticed in the instruction manual. The BW is specified as DC to 60 MHz - 3dB in x1 mode. and DC to 20 MHz -3 dB in x5 mode.

Maybe thats why it was labeld as it was. Mark

Reply to
makolber

Thanks, good to know!

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

has one for a Kikosui but I am not sure it is that one. However he has two of them and might end up selling one to me. I have tinkered with it and it pretty much works like a Tektronix as far as I can tell.

ilar Kik scope, please let me (us) know. Luckily it hasn't needed any ser ious troubleshooting so far. Just bad solder jonts and int. molex connector s that need to be reseated about once per year.

Actually he has one for the 6100 but no schematics. It is more than an oper ator manual though, I can tell. It has a section on the geometry adjustment s etc. W@ould take one hell of an operator to attempt to change a scope CRT . I would hesitate a bit I think. I have had this discussion, it is not rea lly worse than changing a color TV CRT, or even one in a three tube project ion TV, it is just new territory. But most guys in the lab don't do this, t he thing craps out it gets sent to whoever does that. Not my job. Many of t he people who DO change TV CRTs have B & K, Sencore or an elcheapo Temna/El enco, which actually work fine for their purpose. But I like the Teks.

I can see if I can get you that 6100 manual if you want. I looked at the pi cs and it is quite different. The 6100 somehow has 5 channels and can displ ay 12 traces. Why more traces than channels ? Well it is something to do wi th that alt sweep deal they got. Maybe you can view each channel both slow and fast, all at the same time. But then 5 channels should not need more th an 10 traces right ?

Carazy, but I do remember that. Other than that the thing worked quite well , though I didn't test EVERYTHING. I did like it better than the HP 1725A.

Reply to
jurb6006

I have the OPERATORS manual for the COS5060. It is online someplace or I can send it to you if you wish. No schematic. It has a Block diagram. I'd like to get a service manual with a schematic but after 30 years of looking I don't think its out there. M

Reply to
makolber

Schematic scan 5040A

legg

Out of curiosity, does this "operators" manual tell how to align the CRT geometry ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Nice find!

That site has a lot of other useful schematics too it looks like, including for some Behringer audio equipment which is often quite hard to come by.

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

I used to like Kik scopes, back in the analog days. But they tended to have problems in the HV supplies, surface creepage arcing on PC boards blows multiplier diodes. Conformal coating fixes that.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature