Okay fine, for sure, for sure

You, John, are a very fortunate man to have had that experience. I envy you.

Reply to
John S

remoulade and shrimp?

Around here remoulade is a mix of mayonnaise and finely chopped pickles, comes in a plastic bottle and is something you use for hotdogs, french fries, fish fingers and such like ketchup

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I spent more time reading the trade journals for EDN and alike from the 60's and early 70's wrapped in annual hard covers at Univ. than I did studying for exams.

Those Design Corner articles taught me how to design and read schematics for my 1st design job for a VLF 5 channel Nav Rx for an automated weather station in the Beaufort sea mounted on an ice flow moving 10 miles a day. shipped in '76.

Even though many of the designs were poor ideas, they were good training for how not to design but at least analyze how it worked.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

We call that pickle relish.

In New Orleans, remoulade is a thick, smooth brown sauce made from vegetable oil and ground spicy mustard seeds and other stuff. It's spicy in the horseradish sort of way.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Well the near complete lack of quality available in "electronic design" since the 1980s, quantity is the only thing they can go for (too bad they won't get it at that price). Plus I'll bet they are trying to find some way to bill the advertisers again for the back issues (of dubious quality).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

be

"ideas for

Part of what happened is the change in editors. They went from editors that expected circuit contributions to work (and could tell), to editors that could care less (nor could they tell). Then most contributed circuits went from working to almost working (or unworkable) in the 1980s or so. Pitiful in so many ways. I dropped all my subscriptions at that point (five rags).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I don't mind paying for publications that help me do my job of choice. However i object to being asked to pay for trash.

Unfotunately for them the knee is about $0.10 per issue. Nor is the volume likely to be all that high for anything since the 1980s.

Then again publishers are always drastically overvaluing the bulk of their products, thinking that all of their products are as good as the 1% of good stuff the do publish.

Reply to
josephkk

Den fredag den 20. december 2013 02.18.36 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

looks like it it is kinda like Moroccan chermoula

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

See below.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure the experiment will tell.

I bet that their intent is modest, to generate enough money to pay for the website and server farm needed to offer the service. These things also need to be fed.

The trade rags have all declined. Some just got tired, like Electronics Magazine (long defunct), for which I had a paid subscription (about $40/year in the 1970s - real money). I don't know what happened, but over the years it hollowed out, with useful articles gradually being replaced by sales pitches. I dropped it in 1985 or so, so this decline and fall cannot be attributed to the Internet.

Now days, all print media is suffering as most advertising goes over to the Internet. Advertising fees were typically 80% of income. One by one, the trade rags are hollowing out (fewer writers so less and/or less well done content) and/or going electronic only. This is usually a death spiral.

I wouldn't get angry at the publishers about this - it was very much not their desire, and if you can figure out a replacement business model for them, you will be rich and exalted.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Well that is exactly part of the problem. Way too many publishers are still living in the 1890s model (sponsored by seriously wealthy or nobility). Many of them couldn't ever properly adjust business models cope with to movable type let alone the linotype and photo-typesetters and the most recent developments. Their business mindset is many decades out of date. Communication and duplication cost have fallen so rabidly (not a misspelling) that they cannot cope. Fer exsample, really high quality reprints of old books from book-on-demand publishers is undercutting many other providers, not to mention kindle and the like. The olden business model is really dead, they need to cope or their business will die.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:52:23 -0500, Joe Gwinn Gave us:

And today, we have idiots who pay $16 for a Linux mag from the UK, because they are so much better at making eye popping magazines, and actually have enough brains to put some decent articles in each one.

Still... NOT worth anything close to $16 each just because there is a free DVD tucked into them.

It is a truly sad world.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I don't know that it's quite that dramatic, but the business model is changing for sure.

And that 1890 model worked quite well for a century, and were the source of many a fortune. Actually, this started well before 1890.

Free everything won't work because then there is no money to pay smart people to spend their career researching and writing interesting things for us all to read. So, everybody is trying to figure out a way to get paid. Eventually, some new business models will emerge.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn