Odd-ball Connector

FM Input to a receiver BUT...

At first glance, looks like RCA jack, except...

Bigger diameter, and has a male pin in the middle.

Any ideas for a mating connector, to connect to RG-6?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Helps to surf the web and find the manual... it's a screwy friction-fit type-F :-(

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush's failed policies.

Without the benefit of a picture I would guess it could be a Belling & Lee coax connector, almost universally used for TV antennas etc in AUS. till we were invaded by F** connectors with the advent of cable TV.

Reply to
John G.

"John G." >>FM Input to a receiver BUT...

and in EU and a number of other countries

John

In message , John writes

It's interesting that Wikipedia says "It was originally only intended for medium frequency broadcasts, where accurate impedance matching of an antenna connector is not a concern."

It goes on, "Unlike the coaxial F connector used today for the same purpose in North America, the IEC 169-2 connector is not matched to the

75-ohm characteristic impedance of the antenna cable used. The lack of impedance matching causes signal reflections in the cable, leading to noticeable signal distortion on VHF and UHF frequencies (but not MW or Shortwave)."

I've always thought (and in my experience) that 'Belling Lee' / IEC

169-2 connectors are a pretty good match up to UHF. I feel that they might be mixing things up with the PL259/SO239 combination.

Anyway..... In the UK and Europe, many of the TV/FM (usually diplexed) wall outlet plates have/had 'sexed' connectors. The male was the TV, and the female the FM. The idea was that, using a coax jumper with opposite sex connectors on each end, you would plug the male end into the TV set female socket, and the female end into the wall-plate male. It was vice versa for the FM, where the radio was supposed to have a male input connector. [In my opinion, a right pain in the backside!] Maybe this is what the OP has?

--
Ian
Reply to

Yeah, I've meaured less insertion loss (by about 0.5dB) with a mating pair of the (nickel?) plated brass Belling-Lee antenna connectors than I'd get with a pair of F connectors and a joiner. The plastic Belling-Lee connectors are worse, and the aluminium ones tend to become encrusted. At the time I was mainly interested in stations broadcasting at around

450Mhz
Reply to
Jasen Betts

Mine's a little different, but that's basically the jack I have. I found an old friction-fit cable in my junk box and added a type-F (threaded) to the other end, to connect to the wall jack. Makes the wife happy, FM antenna now in attic rather than pinned to the wall ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

I have always hated this connector. I recollect unpicking the braid of the coax and then hooking the centre conductor through a hole in the braid. And then soldering the centre conductor - and hoping that the plastic in the plug does not melt overly. Also, the braid would fragment when tightening the connector. Horrible thing. I much prefer the F connector.

Nowadays one can buy adaptors that interface to the F system thereby avoiding the hassle of wiring these connectors.

Reply to
richard

conductor through a hole in the braid.

plug does not melt overly.

they are available in crimp fitting variants and also screw termination.

the screw ones work better, but the crimp ones are faster.

the hassle of wiring these connectors.

Faced with an urge to avoid hassle, I'd pick the crimp option.

Bye,

Reply to
Jasen Betts

That brings back memories - I worked at Belling & Lee in their Test House for a summer back in '67. Among the fun stuff was testing high pin count (256 way +) connectors for Concorde to establish allowable number of insertions, and helping to test a 1-amp circuit breaker to establish it would still break the circuit when we stuffed 4000 amps through it.

There was also a HF lab there where they designed things like professional TV repeaters, which used those Belling Lee connectors up to 800MHz. The match was pretty good if I recall correctly.

Cheers (another) Ian

Reply to
Ian