O.T. Deep sea wind farms

It gets buried in detailed discussions of the way the internet of things would work. My impression is that the negotiations would be with individual appliances

That's the non-automated version.

A wind and solar power get cheaper and contribute more to power generated.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e.

s.

ng to

- has

with

Sea dykes are expensive, but if the threatened area is big enough, and the sea dykes can kept reasonably straight, it can be worth building them to ke ep the sea out. The Dutch have been doing the sums for about a thousand yea rs or so now. The Delta plan was an exercise in shortening up the sea dykes and making them higher, in reaction to the insight that storm surges could get higher than the once-a-century level. Anthropogenic global warming jus t moves the goal posts a bit more.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The spot market mechanism moves the price to the consumers. The reasonably reliable backup gets very expensive if it isn't used much, and everybody seems perfectly happy to see them paid lots of money very infrequently.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yeah, that's about the level of non-answer I've seen :(

For a start it requires completely new appliances which will take a /long/ time. I can only recall buying one in the past quarter century :)

Then there's the question of what happens to washing/cooking/etc halfway through a cycle. And I'd really like it if my deep freeze neither missed the "you can turn on again" signal, nor let my food be in fridge cold box temperatures for extended periods.

Just so. Also industrial, not domestic.

Except when they don't.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Indeed, but there are also announcements about some *inhabited* areas near the Norfolk Broads (and elsewhere) not being protected.

"Under the plans for "managed retreat", six villages, including Hickling and Potter Heigham, would be given up to the sea" Potter Heigham looks like it it 4/12 miles inland.

Tom Gardner

So?

Sea defenses aren't cheap. Sentimental appeals don't butter any parsnips.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I'm all for nuclear of any flavor. I just don't see it going anywhere, in the US. If other countries are moving ahead, then more power to them. (NPI). I don't know how I'm shutting off your conversation. You (SED) can talk about whatever you like.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Why don't you think it will come to the US? Once the development work has been done and it is shown to be a cheaper, safer and less polluting energy source than either coal, oil or gas, it will happen here. Are you saying we will boycott it?

The only issue is that it will be built and serviced by Chinese companies.

Where did I say you stopped me from speaking? You seem to like creating side conversations that detract from the main issue.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

You tie a bunch of electric eels together? :)

And note that if it's three-phase, you might want to use all the same-sex eels?

Reply to
mpm

That's been a Thompson family motto as far back as I can remember... "Be whatever you want to be... but be the _best_ whatever" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.