wind patterns

I think it was Jeff L who pointed me to this site:

This is flat beautiful. I wonder how they get all this data. I wonder if that storm will hit us.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Guilty as charged, but I pointed to this site:

I agree. It's also hypnotic. I like to watch such animations and look for patterns. It's human nature for us to look for patterns in just about everything.

For data sources and details, see:

It seems to be a mix of data from ECMWF (European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts) and NOAA GFS (Global Forecast Office): Pacific wind data is probably from the GFS at: You can obtain raw data or processed "products" from NOAA NOMADS.

I've been following California left coast weather for many years. Part of the exercise is watching the storm tracks and trying to predict the weather. Mostly, I watch the GOES IR satellite photos and local NEXRAD radar images: My batting average on predicting what a storm will do when it crosses the coastline is rather poor. There's quite a bit of refraction involved. Different things happen at different altitudes. I've seen small storms just disappear then they cross the coastline. If you turn on "Fronts" in the GOES IR loop, you can see how the storm track sorta follows the high/low pressure and temperature boundaries. That's the best predictor so far.

I do my weather guessing on a very local scale. Here's the page I've thrown together for the San Lorenzo Valley, CA which includes local rain and stream gauges, weather stations, etc. You might consider doing something similar for your area.

No prediction on the storm in the Pacific. Looks like it's already here.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Even when there are none. I wrote a program that puts random dots on the screen. The result is amazing patterns that don't exist.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Lol! The fact that the pattern is pseudorandom doesn't mean there is "no" pattern to it. Every maximal length pseudorandom sequence contains all patterns of up to some number of bits determined by the length of the pattern. Why shouldn't this produce visible patterns on the screen? Even if the bit sequence is truly random, there will be local pockets that appear to have order. The eye is very good at spotting these.

Even better is the mind at being able to see faces that aren't there. That's what you get when you give it a face matching circuit.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Its pretty much the same as taking spore prints - you just stick your butt on a sheet of paper instead of a mushroom cap.........................

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

I live in Panama City Fl, our storms generally come from the SW. When I watch the weather map the rain (Green) gets close to the coastline it dissipates even though the Green mass continues moving at us. You think we are in for a big rain storm and nothing comes of it.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

What you've demonstrated is that man needs to have order in his life. Were we to exist in a universe where cause and effect were disconnected, where chaos reigned supreme, and/or where repeated events produce unpredictable reactions, we would probably go insane. Finding order where none exists is a side effect of this need.

The need to have order is the evolutionary result of having a brain that tries to simplify life by NOT processing everything. Many of the "events" of daily life are easily missed. The eye, brain, and all the senses are easily fooled. That's because our orderly brain first predicts what will happen and therefore what can be ignored. If we had to process every single "event" that is perceived by our senses, we would be seriously overloaded trying to prioritize them, as well as determine if they are a threat and prepare an appropriate response. Missing a few things or a few false positives is a small price to pay for reducing the CPU load.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have seen a similar site for the US.

The part I am surprised by is that there must be factors at work that are not visible. In some places the wind seems to be deflected strongly by nothing visible. The only thing I can think is that these displays only show surface winds and there are vertical movements that cause transitions from surface winds to higher altitudes and vice versa.

For example, right now there is what seems to be a strong wind between Greenland and Canada that just starts abruptly. I expect this is the sum of winds from a wide angle that is not clearly visible because over land the wind rises to higher altitudes and so doesn't show in this display. Likewise on the east coast of Greenland there are two perpendicular winds that seem to not really merge. The east wind just seems to stop! Again, I expect it is rising above the other stream and so is no longer visible in this display.

--

Rick C
Reply to

does suggest that hurricanes rarely make it to California - the sea off the coast is too cool to sustain them.

Anthropogenic global warming will eventually warm up that particular stretch of ocean, but it's going to take quite a lot of warming before you get the kind of wake-up call that will attract your attention.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

There is also: