O.T. Deep sea wind farms

It's a popular point of view. "Not even Wrong" presents it fairly persuasively.

The other side of the picture is that string theory pulls together a lot of interesting insights. In a fit of idle curiousity I recently googled "knots in space-time" and came up with this

Nobody seems to have turned it into a testable physical theory yet, but tensor calculus existed before Einstein worked out what to do with it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It looks as if the Australian version - initially called "The Lawsons" predate "The Archers" by about seven years - 1943 to 1950 - and may well have inspired it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Burning gas is not green, it is 1/2 CO2 emission of coal, still very dirty iow.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

CO2 is not pollution and is not dirty. If you disagree, stop breathing.

NG is an amazing gift to humanity.

lunatic fringe electronics

That was the tiny wee prototype one, though.

Dunno. Some of those things are monsters--practically vertical.

Ships get sunk by large waves in one of two ways, aiui: either they capsize or the weight of green water over the hatches and ports caves them in. I suppose that one might break in half if it were particularly heavily laden or weak in the keel.

A ship heading into the seas or directly away from them is liable to capsize if hit by a breaking wave taller than the ship is long, and may well broach (turn sideways suddenly) if it digs its bow in too deep at the bottom. Broaching is very dangerous since when the sea is abeam the ship can be capsized by a breaking wave taller than its _beam_.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(old-salt-wannabe)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

te:

s a _lot_ of money is in play. I've been peer-reviewing papers for over 3

0 years, and I can tell you that the quality of the submissions has tanked.

OK I need to take that back. Science papers are by and large good, but I've seen a few bad ones in some field I know a little about and that makes me suspicious of papers in fields I don't know about.

GH

Reply to
George Herold

Holds breathe........ huffff. Sorry I just can't do it. There should be some middle ground in the energy debate. CO2 is a green house gas. (I measured it's absorption spectra in grad school.. all these rotation-vibration modes. The instrument was a cranky old IR prism spectrometer.. rotating beam blocker, and lockin detection. Thermopile.) The positive effects may turn out to be better than the downside.. or maybe not. Richard Muller, is part of that 'middle' IMO. Calling climate science to task when needed.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I forgot to mention, drink only flat beer.

Probably much better.

lunatic fringe electronics

Big business:

lunatic fringe electronics

No drink Guinness! Maybe Guinness can start an add campaign, as the only green beer. Hey that will work on St. Patties day too.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I used to occasionally ride cargo ships, during sea trials or later on repair missions. The merchant marine an interesting world, with some very solid people. I didn't get as good impression of the US Navy during the week I was in it.

I once turned a trimpot a little too far and almost tore a LASH ship off the dock at Avondale Shipyards. We could have drifted down the Mississippi into the gulf and I would have been embarassed. I might have killed a few people in the process.

lunatic fringe electronics

Try the Guinness Blonde. Fizzy and tasty.

lunatic fringe electronics

Everything you say is the last gasp of a dying species that self-destructed.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You can go ahead and self-destruct; you seem to me most of the way already.

Me, I'm having too much fun now. NG helps.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It's a human excretion, but 'not dirty' is vague enough you can get away with that. But, it IS pollution in some quantity, and toxic in some quantity. Add numbers, or the statement is meaningless.

Reply to
whit3rd

:

rote:

ty iow.

CO2 isn't pollution and it's "dirty" because it is a greenhouse gas. Breath ing it doesn't create any problems, but the fact that more of it in the atm opshere is raising the average temperature at the surface of the earth is a real problem, even if John Larkin is too pig-ignorant to have worked out w hy.

Fossil carbon was an amazing gift to humanity - it powered the industrial r evolution, and has allowed us to get to a point where we don't have to burn fossil carbon to sustain an industrialised society.

Training wheels are great on a kid's bicycle, but once the kid has worked o ut how to keep the bike upright on two wheels, you can take away the extra training wheels, and the bike works better.

John Larkin is stuck in infant mode, thinking that because this was the way we've done it so far, this is the way we have to keep on doing it forever.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Water vapor, nitrogen, and oxygen are all toxic pollutants by your standards. So is vacuum.

lunatic fringe electronics

Muller's output contains the quote

" McIntyre and McKitrick created some meaningless test data that had, on average, no trends."

This is wrong. McIntyre and McKitrick's test data was "pink" or "1/f noise" and that does have a trend. A drunkard's walk moves away from it's origin at a rate proportional to the square root of the number of observations.

Mann's approach did pick up that trend - as it was designed to - and McIntyre and McKitrick lied in claiming that this was a defect. I've mentioned this here earlier.

It strikes me as an obvious point, and one that Muller shouldn't have missed, but people have different exposures to the practicalities of data averaging.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Guinness in a can is frothed by nitrogen, rather than CO2. Real Guinness gets its bubbles from CO2 just like every other beer, but that CO2 was captured from the atmosphere when the grain was grown so it's all renewable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Why? CO2 is only problem when it is acting as greenhouse gas. Enough is fine - as in 270ppm. More creates a problem.

False .

Correlation isn't causation. The industrial revolution has had a lot of positive consequences, and anthropogenic global warming isn't any of them.

We can retain all the advantages we've got from the industrial revolution (including increased cereal yields) if we move over to renewable energy sources, and lose the anthropogenic global warming in the process.

John Larkin lacks the wit to see this.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to