nukes

John

Nice - it would have been more slick if the size of the "blips" were proportional to the yield of the various devices.

I didn't see any blip in Mississippi; there was an underground test there as part of the Vela Uniform program. Lots of footage of that test and other underground tests in Alaska and elsewhere in the DVD "Atomic Journeys," flying cows included.

Reply to
Bitrex

re

The Mississippi blip was there.

Tom P. Albuquerque Part of of many of those Nevada Test Site blips in the 80's up until the moratorium in late 1992.

Reply to
tlbs101

From that site:

"The first blip is in the Nevada desert at the Trinity test site in July of 1945."

AFAIK, The Trinity site was, and still is, in *New Mexico*

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

=A0 =A0(Richard Feynman)

Despite several accuracy problems I thought it was interesting.

Firstly I had no idea we tested SO MANY! ( I bet most Americans don't realize it was that many. ) What a shame that we had to expend such massive resources to prevail at this rivalry.

Secondly the huge number of tests almost seem like both the USSR and USA were attacking OURSELVES because of so many tests.

Did we REALLY need THAT MANY tests to ensure that our arsenal really worked? I know we did have to present a credible threat but why overdo it so much?

Greegor

Do you believe the same about WW-II? There was a massive cost there, too. A few more lives lost, as well.

I'd have liked to see the above ground tests separated.

To see if they *just* worked. A lot of the testing was to get the size and even the yield down (dial-a-yield and all that). AIUI, some was to see the effects of the ageing tritium.

Reply to
krw