Ping John Larking

John:

----- AC --- capacitor --------- bridge rectifier --- output DC cap.

The capacitor will limit current, but consume no power (at least not much). Does this help you MRI?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That's actually interesting; we'd have to rearrange things a little, but it might be possible with the existing transformer windings and such. Probably a resistor+capacitor to limit spike currents. It would need to be a pretty big nonpolar cap, but that happens nowadays.

Thanks for the suggestion.

John

I do that all the time for cheapy appliance control chips (washing machines, etc.), except I have a resistor in series with the cap to control the turn-on surge.

An on-chip shunt regulator controls the chip voltage.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature