Non Lead Soldering?

I want to solder some IC tabs (non PCB now) with 96-4 Sn:Ag solder. I am assuming thats the only non-lead deal out there.

What is the best flux, temperature? I am toying with a SnCl4 flux, as I can rinse.

Any best practices here?

jb

Reply to
haiticare2011

You have to turn the temperature up a little. I usually use 650 F

343 C for PbSn solder, but have to turn it up to 700 F for light connections or even 750 F for heavier soldering. (370 - 400 C)

The standard soldering fluxes work fine for lead free solder.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

And make sure to have some spare tips on hand because that eats them quicker than normal.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Lead free soldering is a PITA in many respects. I assume you are doing this for an important reason? If not, skip it and use standard lead solder.

--

Rick
Reply to

Well, as a last resort, I actually tried it, and was surprised at how well 96-4 flowed and wetted. I had traces of Pb on my iron, so maybe that helped. I had wetted the tip twice with the 96, and wiped off with steel wool, so there wasn't much, tho.

As I used it (tinning a piece of zip cord with a Weller gun.), it wetted as well as 60-40.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Why would anyone use a solder gun? There's certainly more than one unleaded solder formula out there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What the heck are you doing wrong? I NEVER have had any trouble with Sn96.3Ag3.7 solder.

Reply to
Robert Baer

There is that crap with the non-functional copper added.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I don't have a choice, I have to use lead free, but the military and others don't. They use leaded solder because it is more reliable and has fewer "issues". Just ask Toyota.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yes, I had an easy time - don't know what all the whining is about. jb

Reply to
haiticare2011