Step down modules with non existing IC ? LM2596HVS

Hi

a rapid research on web leads to a lot of stepdown modules based on LM2596HVS-ADJ,claiming to work with input voltages up to 60V,probably made in China. I was unable to find the datasheet of the IC ,and i was worried about the fact that ,in some pics ,some modules were mounting 50V input capacitors. I tried again and i found this video,showing the problems affecting some modules,some types seem to work correctly,others turn unstable and break @Vin above 50V

Searching on

gave no results. I always heard about fake components,but never about totally invented names.Is this the case(or a case)?

Is there any explanation? Maybe (optimistically) the builders of these modules did a selection and remarked the ICs able to bear 60V?

Thanks in advance.

Diego

Reply to
blisca

On a sunny day (Thu, 3 Dec 2015 12:00:14 +0100) it happened "blisca" wrote in :

I dunno about this chip, but I have mp3 players with a chip that if you look it up turns out to be a voltage regulator, but in reality is a mp3 decoder.. (same pin out as an other chip in an other mp3 player that is properly marked). Tracing it back to the Chinese manufacturer web site got me immediately blocked on their site when I entered that number in the search window. So they brand an mp3 decoder chip with the number of some whatwasit European chip manufacturer's (ST) voltage regulator so as to circumvent paying mp3 license costs.

So everything is possible,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The photos I've seen have a NS symbol on them and current date code, so probably made by some Chinese company and so marked. The TI parts are probably too expensive for what they are selling them for.

There's a high power chip made by a Chinese company (XC.. something I think) that has pretty decent specs, maybe they are the real maker.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I've had good luck with the cheapo Chinese modules, except that they don't work up to their rated current because the inductors are too small. At 1/3 to 1/2 the rating, they're terrific.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Many thanks to you all for the answers Diego

Reply to
blisca

I've only seen LM2596's that are good up to 40Vin. We use a ton of the LM2592HVS-ADJ and the LM2593HVS-ADJ, both of which are readily available and good up to 60Vin.

Reply to
papabear546

two samples I have here.

XLSEMI XL4005E1

XLSEMI XL4015E1

both are 35V parts. each buck converter was less than USD4 delivered. they're not as cheap as the LM2596 based converters, but they run much cooler.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Yeah I was running a "3A" LM2956 buck at 2A and it was uncomforatble hot (both chip and SMD cube inductor). At 2.8A It went into thermal shutdown after 5 minutes (open air cooling), but still a good deal at less than a dollar each in qty 10.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to