noise lecture

I have a small flat-screen TV and OTA converter because I'm old fashioned that way. No cable. I don't use it very much 'cept for baseball in the summer and local storm/weather forecasts in the winter. I still have a landline phone and fax machine, too.

My SO is somewhat younger than I am and doesn't have any of that stuff, even. "Watching TV" means watching Netflix on a laptop with a large display, or via a projector thru HDMI on a real movie-theater type screen when it's a film.

The kids these days their homes are like 1900. having a library/study seems fashionable again among well-to-do 30-somethings though how much anyone in a household actually reads the books there is an open question.

I'm just old enough that not having a landline phone and TV set would make me feel uncomfortable I guess

Reply to
bitrex

by "small" I mean gigantic compared to the 19" Zenith my parents had in the 1980s but modest compared to the ones that take up a whole wall

Reply to
bitrex

Noise bandwidth != 3 dB BW--pi/2 times wider for one pole, 1.22 times wider for two pole RC

The goodness of steep edges and fast-responding parts as a result.

Depends. The source of those mysterious factors of 2 in the fundamental noise sources is good--shot noise is counting statistics (sqrt N) but when you convert to analytic signal the negative frequencies double the noise power.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Gaussian amplitude statistics

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As a function of 'plot area', sure. As to it being accurate... not so much.

Another reason is that RMS is about power and random noise typically does not push much.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You could also measure low-entropy noise in NPRs or NYTs.

 Click to see the full signature

RMS just means "root of the mean of the the average of the squares of each observation".

It doesn't have any implication that the waveform being looked at is sinuso idal - though Fourier's point was that any series of arbitrary numbers coul d be perfectly represented by it's Fourier transform - a harmonic series of sinewaves can exactly represent any series of numbers.

The significance of peak-to-peak measurements is based on the idea that suc cessive observations can - as they often do - conform to a Gaussian distrbu tion. so you can assign a probability to the chance of a particular deviati on from the mean as a function of size of the means deviation from that mea n.

No sinusoids there either.

Obviously - you can't have a root mean square without enough observations t o define a "mean" which has to be two or more.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You know what I was referring to you rotten bat's turd.

Try pk-pk.

You gonna say that is wrong too?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That hardly qualifies as a lecture.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So you are 100% unaware that there is a wealth of educational programming out there.

You are a real piece of work, Larkin. You make some of the most stupid remarks in the group.

I'd bet that even your duaghter would say so, as long as it was not revealed that it was you she was performing an analysis on.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"John Miles, KE5FX" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Your posts would also make a good noise source.

This is a 100% reproducible observation.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You are 100% reproducible. You try to offend everyone.

 Click to see the full signature

It went well, and took just about an hour to hit the good stuff. A couple of people stayed a while longer with specific things to discuss. Of course I had a good audience.

I think it is a natural, evolved thing for older people to want to teach. That's one way that tribes survived. The old guys passed the tricks on to the younger ones.

They want more. Maybe I'll do transmission lines and fast logic next.

Then maybe a review of the basics of Signals and Systems.

And maybe some basic control theory, Bode plots and things.

Basically I'm kickstarting them by making them aware of topics. The ones who are interested will follow up on their own. We will definitely add "noise" as a topic to address in design reviews.

 Click to see the full signature

I do remember, in the earlier days of TV, that there was educational stuff. I'm not aware that there is any now. Got examples?

She is not shy about sharing opinions.

 Click to see the full signature

I've done the two trick... but diodes only match to ~25%.. so on average only helps some. And still not Gaussian.* I use 20 V zeners (~10-100 uA) but they've gotten less noisy lately... I've got a bag of 100 vishay tacked to my wall.. waiting for some spare testing time. A little less noisy and a faster slewing opamp seems to keep the output noise about the same.

This is 'audio' freq. noise. banging opamps hard, triangle spikes, ugly. (I love opamps!)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We don't do RF, so that sort of stuff isn't priority.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Are these NEDs (Noise Emitting Diodes) ?

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're a goddamned idiot.

Nope. Just idiotic assholes like you going around making retarded cracks about the Space Program.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Did you hire zero experience personnel?

I have trouble believing that engineers lack noise abatement technique and method knowledge or experience.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That is why we have the Space Program, Johnny.

But you have horse blinders on, self applied.