Noise on Wireless Transmitter

Hi,

I'm an electronics neophyte, but went out and bought a 2.4 Ghz wireless audio/video transmitter/receiver set from Radio Shack. Trouble is, I can hear the music I'm transmitting from my PC to the sound system, but there's a steady ticking noise. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to put a filter on the device, or is the one I bought just a cheapo?

John Davis

Mike Berger

There's about a million things in that 2.4 gHz band. Microwave ovens are the worst offenders, but they are intermittant, unless you live near a restaurant...telephones, wifi...all sorts of things.

The best you can hope for is to carefully orient the antennas for the best reception. There are highly directional antennas available--both pre-built and plans...several use a Pringle's potato chip can as a waveguide--but these require some soldering ability to implement.

With the above, however, you probably 'could' get a narrow enough coverage angle to mechanically filter out any interference.

Google "homebrew 2.4 gHz antennas" or "pringles can antenna" for links.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I get the same problem (ticking sound) between my cordless Siemens Gigiset 2430 2.4G and my wireless 2.4 video/audio setup. And the video/audio transmitter limits the range of my WiFi setup (also using 2.4G) and sometimes WiFi doesn't work at all.

Turn off the video/audio transmitter, the other two 2.4G gets along just fine. I have another really cheap 2.4G cordless phone and it knocks out the WiFi really badly. Good thing I stuck it in the closet for now. Although the Siemens works with the WiFi really nicely. As the phone can be right next to the WiFi antenna and both continues just fine.

The 2.4G standard is supposed to be really great for multiple devices using these frequencies. As it is supposed to be nice to other devices. As they seek a clear channel and then do there stuff. And they are supposed to switch channels if the one its using has some outside interference.

Well this works in many cases, but others it doesn't so well. I guess one could have too many devices for one. Also I don't believe those video/audio transmitters ever follow the rules anyway. At least the RCA one that I have (WVS150) doesn't. As it will only transmit on 4 available channels and you must select one of them manually.

The interference between the video/audio receiver and the cordless phone might be do to the Siemens is supposed to change (hop) 100 channels per second. This is supposed to be a security feature. Thus the ticking sound.

I bet as jak already mentioned that some other device is causing your problem. If not you, then someone or something nearby.

__________________________________________________ Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD under Windows 2000)

-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

Reply to
BillW50

There are several different 2.4Ghz RF standards and they do not all play well together (nice to other devices in your words). For example, some of these used Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) where the carrier channel changes at pre-defined intervals without any regard to whatever other devices are operating in the same spectrum. In addition, there are also things like RF baby monitors, cordless phones, and microwave ovens as you already pointed out that also transmit without regard to others using the frequencies.

2.4Ghz WiFi (802.11b and 802.11g) fits your description though in that it is a listen before transmit technology so tries not to clobber other WiFi devices sharing the same spectrum. Although it may be the case for SOME cordless phones or monitors, WiFi APs will not switch channels though automatically, despite how much interference they encounter.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Hi Bob... Thank you very much for the clarification. Say isn't there also a DSS standard (vs. FHSS) that does basically the same thing as well? Although I believe I only had seen it on 900MHZ devices. Then again, is what I am calling DSS the same thing as Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) used on most modern WiFi at 2.4GHZ?