noise from pwm

I have a pwm that takes AC from the wall, and without an isolation transformer, turns it to a ~+-170V switching supply. I'm using the pwm to power a custom device (about 6ohms and 0.15H). The problem I'm having is that there is noise everywhere. Specifically I have a hall effect current sensor wired in the pwm power line going to the device. I hooked the sensor to a scope and can see the DC offset I was expecting clearly, but there is 22kHz noise (the switching freq.) that is about 100 times the DC signal. So I need to attenuate this

22kHz noise.

The setup is pretty nasty right now, long untwisted wire leads from the pwm to the device, and the same from the sensor to the scope. Other than twisting wires, making them shorter, and adding shielding,.... what else can I do to eliminate the large 22kHz noise? I tried RC filters, with little improvement, would a LC work better? What about just wrapping the lines around a high permeability core? I am pretty good with math (book filter design and Laplace transforms), but lack a lot of practical knowledge and experience. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
bob

I suggest some kind of inductor in series with your wall-AC connection. And shielding. Schematic for further help doesn't hurt ;)

Reply to
Sky465nm

I think the answer to this can fill a book.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

AC from Wall | | Bridge Rectifier | | CAPS | | P W M + - | | | | | | ----CURR SENSOR | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | \\ / | | \\ / | | \\ / | | \\ / | | DEVICE | | | | SCOPE

The current sensor is a hall effect kind so it doesn't physically break the leads to the device. I tried putting RC filters between the sensor and scope. What about a LC between the sensor and scope. I thought maybe a ferrite bead on the sensor to scope leads, but would they be effective at removing 20kHz noise? I need the sensor to have a bandwidth of 0 to 200Hz. Thanks again for any ideas.

Reply to
bob

I have to agree however.. this is a subject worthy of a book :) But it's a starting point for experimentation.

Reply to
Sky465nm