Nixie - advice from old timer sought

Yes, 120 times a second on 60 Hz, or at least till they start to go ad. ;-)

My point was that the lamp is on for most of the cycle on AC, and that was what made them useful with a strobe disk. A narrow pulse of light would either be too dim, or would burn out the neon.

Multiplexing requires higher current pulses to achieve the same intensity. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Thanks - I didn't know that

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

Yes, SP mentioned it and some notes confirmed it. Things are looking uglier now - I either have to use some really ugly soviet nixie driver chips (IIRC 741441 equiv - they work OK they just look really cheap and continuity of supply is...) or 66 MPSA42 (or the surface mount with the equivalent) plus use a very large PIC and heaps of resistors. Then I can think about making it pretty. Burning out the nixies is not an option. I'd like to get at least a few years (continuous use) out of them.

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.
Reply to
David Eather

There is a lot of 11 7441 nixie drivers on Ebay for $22 & shipping. The listings says that they are no name, but they are Fairchild.

Here is the condensed datasheet:

Michael A. Terrell

I believe most of the RAM manufacturers are working on die stacking technology - we were ahead of our time...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Memory modules stacked two-high was done in the early '80s (2x4116s, IIRC). IBM used a ton of 'em.

Reply to
krw

tape.

This was 1979 I think, maybe later

John Devereux
Reply to
John Devereux

backplane.

tape.

The IBM-PC didn't come out until '81 but, IIRC, they used stacked 1Ks before that, in mainframes. They weren't standard DIPs, though.

Reply to
krw

Make a triple display. Make the retro drive circuit, but make the display a triangle of three. One nixie, one LCD and one LED. Make drive circuits on each so the front end drive can be the same into all three.

Like the license plate on that UK delivery driver movie or a Bond film.

I have a Sony "Dash" touch screen alarm clock and one of the displays is a 'nixie' digital clock. Pretty cool little clock.

WoolyBully

tape.

I remember the early 80286 based PC/AT memory as having stacked DRAM chips. Wasn't the reason being that they were slightly defective or something? Perhaps the lower half was bad on one chip, and the upper half bad on the other?

Reply to
JW

On a sunny day (Tue, 21 Feb 2012 07:49:53 -0500) it happened JW wrote in :

In the sixties TTL and RTL, DTL was still expensive. But you could buy 'bipack' chips here, very cheap. Those were chips that had say one of the 2 flipflops defective, or one of the gates in a 7400. I bought a whole lot of those, tested them all and marked the defective input / outputs with red marker on the pins. Great for experiments at home.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

backplane.

tape.

No, those were all-good chips. The 64K memory card (two banks of 32K) used them before that.

IBM did use the "bad bit" strategy on some IBM grown memory, though. IIRC, there were four chips on a module, each with a bad quadrant.

Reply to
krw