Nixie - advice from old timer sought

As I write I've just about had it with Opera - nice - but to make it nice and easy it hides error messages away. I haven't been able to send mail in

2 days and just noticed they are all queued up waiting to go but no reports of any failures to connect Arrrrr........ :@

But nixies - does multiplexing nixies cause them to wear out more quickly (seeing as they have to strike and restrike many time a second)?

Many thanks in advance - the Internet is full of suggestions about the tubes but all of it is from people with absolutely no experience.

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

Too many variable to give a really definitive answer, but I suspect that if you aim for similar overall brightness, the life will be much, much less.

Assuming brightness varies proportional to current, you'll have an RMS current that is 'n' times higher, where n is the mux ratio. Since the life likely decreases by the 3rd to 5th power of current*, your life could be someting like n^4 less. IOW, muxing 4 Nixies might reduce the life to 1/256.

Of course if you run them at 25% brightness, then the life is not reduced at all (but if you ran them static at that brightness, they'd last almost forever).

  • see Int'l Light Technologies data for neon lamps
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Fri, 17 Feb 2012 06:02:40 +1000) it happened "David Eather" wrote in :

There has been some tensions in Opera company, due to difference in insight, and the (very good) original developer left. Since then it has become 'over the hill'. The latest version I tried on Linux could not even display its own logo correctly, let alone do web browsing :-) The old version (10.1?) was OK. Now I use sea monkey.

I don't know, neon bulbs have been used for stroboscope for many years (turntables for example) without problems. The lower digits of my old home build frequency counter with nixies were often constantly changing. That was TTL and not multiplexed BTW.

I build a frequency counter with nixies in the early seventies, 7490 counter,

100 kHz crystal, 7475 latches and a BCD to decimal decoder per nixie, 5 digits IIRC, somebody has it...

Why bother, LCD and a PIC is much nicer these days,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not if you're buiding something 'RETRO' ... I designed and built a nixie clock when I was an apprentice back in 67.... I wish I kept it :(

Reply to
TTman

I'm going to use a PIC (and GPS) but most LCD's look cheap and have no 'soul' - plus I have a bag full of soviet nixies.

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.
Reply to
David Eather

Then why not just use HV latches... the cost of a few extra chips solves your problem and moves to certainty.

Reply to
TTman

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:27:21 -0000) it happened "TTman" wrote in :

Right, or google 'TTL BCD to decimal nixie driver'. For for example a clock, 4 digits, you would need only 4 chips, plus the PIC, a 20 pin PIC would do (4 x 4 outputs = 16 + 2 crystal + 2 power). Bigger PIC, add a transistor for flashing dot.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.
Reply to
David Eather

That is a good point. 'I think problem solved'

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.
Reply to
David Eather

I have a bunch of them too - I just haven't liked the look of the stuff I've seen using them (big ugly PCB - but I guess definitely retro!)

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.
Reply to
David Eather

correctly,

(turntables for example)

constantly

100 kHz crystal,

I did the same somewhere in the early 90's. Nixies are fun to drive :-) I still have it somewhere. Unfortunately it stopped working. It was controlled by the first board I ever created with PCB design software:

And the counter board:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:01:44 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

correctly,

(turntables for example)

constantly

100 kHz crystal,

mm, mine looked a lot tydier... :-) where are the nixies? I had a whole bunch of wires coming of those decoders going into the nixies.

I was thinking if you REALLY wanted a cool display, use some flurescent tubes and make something a few meters high like NASA has as a count down timer in the area where people watch the launches:-)

Here a picture of my old Z80 system dynamic RAM disk...

Jan Panteltje

That saves a lot of wiring!

Reply to
JW

haha I did that with my "UK101" kit computer, made a dot-addressable graphics display with 16x2114 SRAMs soldered like that. After a while turned on it would get some sparkling pixels - "soft errors" due to the chips heating each other...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

100 kHz crystal,

The nixies are on a seperate board. I don't have a picture of that. Its kinda messy. IIRC it uses BF245 transistors to switch the high voltage.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Fri, 17 Feb 2012 18:58:06 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

OK, yes, I threw away all that Z80 stuff last year, boxes full.. Forgot to take pics of everything. The RAM disk was cool, it was I/O mapped, in the Z80 way, had auto increment addressing so you could write 256 bytes at the time, and if not addressed did its own refresh. So did not depend on Z80 refresh, mapped it as drive B in my own CP/M clone

copied the floppy to it, then worked from that RAM disk. C complier on it was faster than gcc on a 2.4 GHz core I5 :-) Something must have gotten wrong in the software world... Also wrote a Z80 disassembler..

It is a fun processor, and it for sure made me a living for many years.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:42:55 -0500) it happened JW wrote in :

Yep, less capacitance too, just stack the chips :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:49:38 +0000) it happened John Devereux wrote in :

Right,that is why they are sideways, the board was vertical in the backplane. That way the air could flow in bewteen and under the (removed here) grey tape.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

How do you jump from running a neon on an AC line signal, to multiplexing?

Michael A. Terrell

The electrodes light and are extinguished many times per second. I was thinking of the old fluro tubes where the striking of the arc caused the most wear. I have on hand now more information from a kind poster and I have found there are many traps for the unwary (like myself) but at least forewarned I can step forward carefully