Weird Nixie

I wonder what kind of equipment this was originally used in, and if the date of manufacture is correct, why it was still being manufactured as late as 1992?

Reply to
bitrex

My father had a Grundig radio with a indicator like this on it. IIRC, the radio was from the 1950s.

When tuning the radio, the line would get wider when you found the center of the radio station.

Reply to
hamilton

On a sunny day (Sat, 28 Sep 2013 07:53:50 -0400) it happened bitrex wrote in :

Dunno, but would make a nice cat eye (EM34) replacment....

Jan Panteltje

That was an EM84 or 6FG6 "Magic Eye" tube. About half way down the page. The MELZ IN-24 probably has a similar function.

More such tubes:

No clue on todays applications. The high operating voltage generally limits its use to tube type equipment or retro-tech gadgets such as Nixie tube clocks.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

"Jan Panteltje" schreef in bericht news:l26u2d$rs2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

Hmm.. A cat eye is round. It's more like an EM87 bar type indicator.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

On a sunny day (Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:40:59 +0200) it happened "petrus bitbyter" wrote in :

Yes, true:

But this Russian thing can move 2 ways, so I was already in my mind designing a dual triode diff amp, with the thing in between the anodes, connected to a FM detector / discriminator / AFC, so it tells you which way to tune... For AM you can just amplify the IF and get an RF amplitude indication. Of course you can replace the dual triode by 2 small video out HV transistors BF??? cannot remember the number, video output stage CRT driver. The cat-eye always fascinated me, maybe the green color, now I look at green scope traces... Scope TV is also green:

Jan Panteltje

WOW, thanks Jeff.

My fathers Grundig was a large console with a record player under the radio.

But the pic of the radio console looks the same (AFAIR).

Reply to
hamilton

the soviets are kind of behind the times, so it's not shocking they'd still make and use stuff like that.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader