Nintendo: lots o' metal... for shielding?

Decided to take apart my old Nintendo (from ~ 1987) to try and clean the contacts, and see if it would work. (Often, if you put in a ROM cartridge, the game wouldn't work. I heard on the net that it's because the contacts tended to corrode.)

So, I took it apart, took out the black contacting mechanism, and rinsed it with 409. Dried it, and it seems to work better now. (Haven't played Zelda in maybe a decade!)

I noticed, though, that there was *a lot* of metal covering the electronics guts of the Nintendo. (Almost cut myself with all that metal.) Is this to avoid broadcasting interference, or to avoid receiving that "interference that could cause undesirable operation" as per FCC rule Part 15?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Yes. I imagine it hasn't got a metal case ? That would otherwsie normally serve the same purpose.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Almost always it is to prevent the unit from radiating RF interference as per FCC specifications. I once helped design a device that radiated so much RF that we joked about simply applying for a boardcast liscense instead ;>

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

It's got a plastic case. I would guess the metal is steel, then? (Searching for a magnet...) Yup, it likes magnets! So it's not aluminum... was kinda heavy to be aluminum to begin with, and anyway, they wouldn't waste the money on it... could be tin...?

Reply to
mrdarrett