New free EV DCFC

This will make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and faster.

15) to Vegas are still "coming soon".

rmation for anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a couple of weeks ago where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I couldn' t find a usable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America statio n across the road, but they won't work with Tesla. Any J-1772 device would have worked, but none were available that I could find. It has been a while since I've used plugshare and it works a lot better on my computer than it does on the phone. The browser in the car often barely works. Sometimes th at thing is like running Windows 95. A web page will lock up and take the d ash board down with it.

nts per minute could get rather expensive. Then CP pop up at $1.50 per hour of DCFC. Now, CT is zero. High price really invite competitions.

ess

used

8 of

s and

happy

d to

m.

ugh,

nges

it ion

rty

rate.

I guess that's their home.

n't be able to buy new non-EV after 2035 in CA.

I know, and he won't be in office by then. It will be rescinded by the nex t governor. Even if it stays, you can import ICE from WA,NV and AZ.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Nonsense. Nobody buys an $80,000 Tesla to "save money." Or even a $50,000 one.

Boomers seem to complain about "the kids these days" spending all their money on avocado toast and the latest video games and fashions.

But also complain when you like to save money, too. Really can't win.

Every 30-something I know are pretty savvy at managing their money you pretty much have to be to live just about anywhere in the US in something resembling a middle-class lifestyle in the year 2021 on a $40-70k salary, when one didn't make out like a bandit on property or investments 25 years ago.

Reply to
bitrex

It's silly when businesses could be turning an extra monthly profit for literally no further investment than they've already made other than just changing some bits in software.

The same supermarkets often spend I don't know, 40, 50 grand? on shopping-cart security systems to protect $100 carts that probably get stolen a dozen times a year.

One of the stores near me the contractor ran the invisible "fence" too near to the entrance due to the lot geometry and at some point someone set the RF amp gain on it too high for the topology and someone walked off with one and the transmitter locked up half the carts in the store.

Reply to
bitrex

I don't agree with that. I think that we will see many, many retail busine sses begin to provide level 2 charging facilities. The typical installatio n is low enough power at 5 kW that it costs less than $1 an hour for the el ectricity. That is so in the noise for retail even if every car in the lot were charging it would be a boon.

There are many urban EV owners who can't charge at home because they have n o way to add charging having no garage or driveway. I'm surprised these pe ople buy EVs, but it is happening and puts a burden on the level 3 charging facilities. For those people it would be much better to charge while they shop or to charge while they work assuming they aren't working at home.

The landscape is going to change. In not so many years EVs will be popular enough that it will be the thing to support them. In a recent conversatio n a supermarket store manager told me he has asked corporate to install som e charging facilities. So far he has not gotten a "yes", but I would bet i t's not because of the expense, but because they are waiting for things to settle and clear up a bit. I'm pretty sure most people don't even understa nd the nature of car charging. For retail they don't need to consider leve l 3 charging. Level 2 charging is perfectly adequate and very affordable.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Mine has an engine too, and during the winter it even provides useful work as an inline-four space heater.

Reply to
bitrex

2004 Dodge Ram Cummins. The official car of "I'm a married incel" and "I post Facebook videos about REAL TRUTH I make from the driver's seat of my truck":
Reply to
bitrex

This will make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and faster .

15) to Vegas are still "coming soon".

rmation for anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a couple of weeks ago where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I couldn' t find a usable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America statio n across the road, but they won't work with Tesla.

eMo adapter. In some free DCFC charger, there are Teslas fast charging and hogging them for hours. CalTran will have to figure out how to limit them.

n some EC and CP might be unnecessary.

e new, fast facilities have one Chademo connector on the same charger as a CCS, and the other N chargers at that station are only CCS. If someone is u sing the CCS the Chademo is on you are out of luck until they are done. No point in buying the Chademo adapter.

wish Tesla drivers would avoid ChaDeMo, but that's not happening. There are Teslas with ChaDeMo adapter everywhere.

n the down slope and CCS is the charging standard that will be dominant. Th e CCS and Chademo are 1 to 1 in most installations because most installatio ns of CCS and Chademo only have one or two chargers.

has a very long memory.

You seem to think the world revolves around your personal experiences. You spotted one station that supports Chademo on every charger. I've already shown you that the Asian companies are throwing in the towel on Chademo in the US market. It's done, it's over, the fat lady has sung. Chademo is g oing to dry up and blow away here. Why can't you see that? CCS will be th e fast charging standard for any car that isn't a Tesla.

You need to realized the EV market is not about the past. It's about the f uture. EVs are on an exponential growth curve and the current number of EV s on the road will be doubling, tripling, quadrupling. The support infrast ructure is looking ahead, not behind. Chademo does not have a future in th e US. If your car charges with a Chademo connector I'm sure you will not f ind existing charging being ripped out... not right away anyhow. But going forward it will be much less supported.

ih=472

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

e:

e:

y. This will make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and fast er.

on 15) to Vegas are still "coming soon".

formation for anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a couple of weeks ago where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I could n't find a usable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America stat ion across the road, but they won't work with Tesla.

aDeMo adapter. In some free DCFC charger, there are Teslas fast charging an d hogging them for hours. CalTran will have to figure out how to limit them .

ven some EC and CP might be unnecessary.

the new, fast facilities have one Chademo connector on the same charger as a CCS, and the other N chargers at that station are only CCS. If someone is using the CCS the Chademo is on you are out of luck until they are done. N o point in buying the Chademo adapter.

I wish Tesla drivers would avoid ChaDeMo, but that's not happening. There a re Teslas with ChaDeMo adapter everywhere.

on the down slope and CCS is the charging standard that will be dominant. The CCS and Chademo are 1 to 1 in most installations because most installat ions of CCS and Chademo only have one or two chargers.

ry has a very long memory.

u spotted one station that supports Chademo on every charger. I've already shown you that the Asian companies are throwing in the towel on Chademo in the US market. It's done, it's over, the fat lady has sung. Chademo is goin g to dry up and blow away here. Why can't you see that? CCS will be the fas t charging standard for any car that isn't a Tesla.

Its not just one station. It was just an example. All 22 new CalTrans cha rgers, including the Tejon Pass, are dual plugs chargers, as well as new EC and CP chargers, all support CDM. Phasing out CDM is going to take many, many years.

Reply to
Ed Lee

[...]

chargers are happening.

w EC, CP and CT dual chargers. EG still has the most installed unit in conv enient locations, but not growing much either.

You are just never going to get it are you? Tesla chargers are growing con stantly. Your personal experience is not meaningful.

I have no idea what your alphabet soup means and I'm not going to try to fi gure it out. There will be a few Chademo chargers for some time to come, b ut you should try to not be in denial. If the auto makers stop making cars with Chademo connectors there will be no reason to build more of them. En d of story.

--

[...]

I probably spend less than a minute a month plugging in my Tesla or unplugg ing it. I don't have to worry about spilling gas on myself or the car and I don't have to deal with crowding at pumps or the jerks pulling into the g as station too fast.

No, there is nothing I miss about not having to use gas stations. My only lament is some of the charging stations I use on trips are at gas stations. Much nicer when they are at motels where they give free coffee and snacks .

--

Rick C.

--- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

ote:

ote:

ley. This will make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and fa ster.

2 on 15) to Vegas are still "coming soon".

information for anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a coupl e of weeks ago where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I cou ldn't find a usable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America st ation across the road, but they won't work with Tesla.

ChaDeMo adapter. In some free DCFC charger, there are Teslas fast charging and hogging them for hours. CalTran will have to figure out how to limit th em.

Even some EC and CP might be unnecessary.

l the new, fast facilities have one Chademo connector on the same charger a s a CCS, and the other N chargers at that station are only CCS. If someone is using the CCS the Chademo is on you are out of luck until they are done. No point in buying the Chademo adapter.

. I wish Tesla drivers would avoid ChaDeMo, but that's not happening. There are Teslas with ChaDeMo adapter everywhere.

is on the down slope and CCS is the charging standard that will be dominant . The CCS and Chademo are 1 to 1 in most installations because most install ations of CCS and Chademo only have one or two chargers.

tory has a very long memory.

You spotted one station that supports Chademo on every charger. I've alread y shown you that the Asian companies are throwing in the towel on Chademo i n the US market. It's done, it's over, the fat lady has sung. Chademo is go ing to dry up and blow away here. Why can't you see that? CCS will be the f ast charging standard for any car that isn't a Tesla.

rgers, including the Tejon Pass, are dual plugs chargers, as well as new EC and CP chargers, all support CDM. Phasing out CDM is going to take many, m any years.

Yes, absolutely true. No one is going to rip out existing connectors. Wit h ever reducing numbers of EVs with Chademo connectors are on the road, the re will be fewer vehicles competing for them. But as the number of charger s doubles and triples and increases 10 fold, the number of Chademo connecto rs won't.

Oh, wait. The Chademo connectors share a charger with a CCS connector, so there will still be plenty of competition for the charger, just not the Cha demo connector.

--

Rick C.

--+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

:

alley. This will make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and faster.

d 2 on 15) to Vegas are still "coming soon".

p information for anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a cou ple of weeks ago where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I c ouldn't find a usable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America station across the road, but they won't work with Tesla.

e ChaDeMo adapter. In some free DCFC charger, there are Teslas fast chargin g and hogging them for hours. CalTran will have to figure out how to limit them.

A. Even some EC and CP might be unnecessary.

all the new, fast facilities have one Chademo connector on the same charger as a CCS, and the other N chargers at that station are only CCS. If someon e is using the CCS the Chademo is on you are out of luck until they are don e. No point in buying the Chademo adapter.

Mo. I wish Tesla drivers would avoid ChaDeMo, but that's not happening. The re are Teslas with ChaDeMo adapter everywhere.

o is on the down slope and CCS is the charging standard that will be domina nt. The CCS and Chademo are 1 to 1 in most installations because most insta llations of CCS and Chademo only have one or two chargers.

istory has a very long memory.

. You spotted one station that supports Chademo on every charger. I've alre ady shown you that the Asian companies are throwing in the towel on Chademo in the US market. It's done, it's over, the fat lady has sung. Chademo is going to dry up and blow away here. Why can't you see that? CCS will be the fast charging standard for any car that isn't a Tesla.

hargers, including the Tejon Pass, are dual plugs chargers, as well as new EC and CP chargers, all support CDM. Phasing out CDM is going to take many, many years.

h ever reducing numbers of EVs with Chademo connectors are on the road, the re will be fewer vehicles competing for them. But as the number of chargers doubles and triples and increases 10 fold, the number of Chademo connector s won't.

These are all new and planned charging stations. Other than EA, all suppor ts CDM. It might not last forever, but not a problem on my life time, so e njoy CDM as i can.

Reply to
Ed Lee