New free EV DCFC

CalTran has installed 22 new fast chargers in central valley. This will make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and faster.

Unfortunately, the three critical locations (1 on 58 and 2 on 15) to Vegas are still "coming soon".

Reply to
Ed Lee

ake my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and faster.

s are still "coming soon".

One limitation of the Tesla is that it doesn't provide map information for anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a couple of weeks ago where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I couldn't find a u sable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America station across the road, but they won't work with Tesla. Any J-1772 device would have wor ked, but none were available that I could find. It has been a while since I've used plugshare and it works a lot better on my computer than it does o n the phone. The browser in the car often barely works. Sometimes that t hing is like running Windows 95. A web page will lock up and take the dash board down with it.

--
Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and faster.

gas are still "coming soon".

r anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a couple of weeks ago where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I couldn't find a u sable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America station across t he road, but they won't work with Tesla.

EA and these CalTran chargers will work with Tesla, with the ChaDeMo adapte r. In some free DCFC charger, there are Teslas fast charging and hogging t hem for hours. CalTran will have to figure out how to limit them.

With these coming on line, i no longer need to use EG and EA. Even some EC and CP might be unnecessary.

In general: EG: Evgo, $5 to $10 equivalent gas price EA: Electric America, $4 to $5 EC: EV Connect, $3 to $4 CP: ChargePoint, $2 to $3 CT: CalTran, $0

Reply to
Ed Lee

Use the Chargepoint app to find the J-1772/level 2s

Reply to
bitrex

l make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and faster.

egas are still "coming soon".

for anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a couple of weeks a go where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I couldn't find a usable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America station across the road, but they won't work with Tesla. Any J-1772 device would have wor ked, but none were available that I could find. It has been a while since I 've used plugshare and it works a lot better on my computer than it does on the phone. The browser in the car often barely works. Sometimes that thing is like running Windows 95. A web page will lock up and take the dash boar d down with it.

But it doesn't even show the CP DCFC near Delanlo.

At one time, EG was the only choice in town. Charging up at 30 cents per m inute could get rather expensive. Then CP pop up at $1.50 per hour of DCFC . Now, CT is zero. High price really invite competitions.

Reply to
Ed Lee

ill make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and faster.

Vegas are still "coming soon".

n for anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a couple of weeks ago where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I couldn't find a usable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America station acro ss the road, but they won't work with Tesla. Any J-1772 device would have w orked, but none were available that I could find. It has been a while since I've used plugshare and it works a lot better on my computer than it does on the phone. The browser in the car often barely works. Sometimes that thi ng is like running Windows 95. A web page will lock up and take the dash bo ard down with it.

minute could get rather expensive. Then CP pop up at $1.50 per hour of DCFC . Now, CT is zero. High price really invite competitions.

Sorry, that's EC, not CP.

Reply to
Ed Lee

ll make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and faster.

Vegas are still "coming soon".

for anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a couple of weeks a go where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I couldn't find a usable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America station across the road, but they won't work with Tesla.

ter. In some free DCFC charger, there are Teslas fast charging and hogging them for hours. CalTran will have to figure out how to limit them.

C and CP might be unnecessary.

Chademo has no future. While you find some Chademo chargers, all the new, fast facilities have one Chademo connector on the same charger as a CCS, an d the other N chargers at that station are only CCS. If someone is using t he CCS the Chademo is on you are out of luck until they are done. No point in buying the Chademo adapter.

--
[...]

That's only true for EA. All EC, CP and CT are 1 CCS to 1 ChaDeMo. I wish Tesla drivers would avoid ChaDeMo, but that's not happening. There are Te slas with ChaDeMo adapter everywhere.

Reply to
Ed Lee

[...]

EA (Volkswagen) has good reason to favour CCS, or to disfavour ChaDeMo (Lea f and Tesla). But there are still more ChaDeMo users than CCS. One DCFC s tation has very clean ChaDeMo plug (frequent usages), but spider web on the CCS plug.

All other DCFCs (except EA) have 1:1 dual plugs.

Reply to
Ed Lee

s will make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and faster.

to Vegas are still "coming soon".

ion for anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a couple of wee ks ago where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I couldn't fi nd a usable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America station ac ross the road, but they won't work with Tesla.

adapter. In some free DCFC charger, there are Teslas fast charging and hogg ing them for hours. CalTran will have to figure out how to limit them.

me EC and CP might be unnecessary.

w, fast facilities have one Chademo connector on the same charger as a CCS, and the other N chargers at that station are only CCS. If someone is using the CCS the Chademo is on you are out of luck until they are done. No poin t in buying the Chademo adapter.

Tesla drivers would avoid ChaDeMo, but that's not happening. There are Tes las with ChaDeMo adapter everywhere. . That may be in a historical perspective, but going forward Chademo is on th e down slope and CCS is the charging standard that will be dominant. The C CS and Chademo are 1 to 1 in most installations because most installations of CCS and Chademo only have one or two chargers. They haven't been built out like the Tesla chargers have been or the EA chargers are happening. Ch ademo is an Asian standard and they are converting to CCS. So don't expect Chademo to continue to be built in any real numbers.

Charging is a major issue with EVs. Even if you drive locally and charge a t home 99% of the time, the other 1% of the time you need charging where yo u need it, not in some place out of your way. EV Charging doesn't need to handle the same capacities as gas stations since they are the ONLY place yo u can fill your gas tank. But they need to be as common. By 2025 there wi ll be over 10 million EVs on the road. Every gas station will need a few c hargers. By 2030 many won't be able to stay open selling gas and may close . I don't think you can make much money selling fuel to EVs. It takes too long to charge giving lower return on investments, although you need to do something while waiting and maybe they will make it up in entertainment. Anyway, we will have to wait and see how it shakes out.

Reply to
Rick C

Absolutely not correct. CCS has already won the Betamax vs. VHS wars. The Asian automakers have thrown in the towel, at least in the US and Europe.

Nissan Transitions To CCS For US And Europe, Dealing ...

Read 'em and weep.

I do see where Chademo is still big in China, but I won't be doing much driving in China.

--
Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

There are tons of Level 2 chargers in my area. 90% of them are useless these days because whomever installed them doesn't want them being used by the general public or doesn't want them being used at all.

There's an upscale apartment complex near me that used to have two "free" level 2s that people used all the time, they then installed 8 of them and made it so that two free chargers cut you off after 2 hours and the others charge something like 25 cents per kwh plus a $1.50 flat hookup fee.

Naturally almost nobody uses them anymore and the management seems happy with this. I've tried using one a couple times just because I needed to be nearby and had a few bucks on my account I wanted to burn off but they've got security prowling around that cuts off anyone who's not a resident using them even if you're paying to do it.

The Level 2 stuff just isn't worth anyone's time to invest in as a business model outside of grabbing the tax breaks for installing 'em. I've always thought the public-charger "model" was silly anyway though, when you've got vehicles with now 300 and probably soon 400 mile ranges they're mostly unnecessary; most owners charge at home and that's sufficient for 95% of the driving they do and it only becomes worth it to do something different when driving around locally if a third-party charger is offering steep discounts as compared to the residential rate.

Reply to
bitrex

Occasionally I've pointed out to businesses their pricing for their Level 2 is silly they're like "Oh really? Had no idea don't know anything about it we just set it at whatever it comes with stock. That's good to know."

And then nothing changes.

Reply to
bitrex

One thing that e-car owners have in common is that they seem to be compulsive penny-pinchers whose time isn't worth anything.

They probably clip coupons and argue for every possible discount and stand in line to return cheap stuff for refunds. Some people are like that.

People hold up the checkout lines at Safeway arguing over a few cents. Those same people seem to buy cheap vodka by the gallon.

--
John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

ill make my trip south by south-east a little bit cheaper and faster.

Vegas are still "coming soon".

n for anything other than Tesla charging. I got in a spot a couple of weeks ago where my battery lost 5% while I was grocery shopping. I couldn't find a usable charger close enough. There was an Electrify America station acro ss the road, but they won't work with Tesla. Any J-1772 device would have w orked, but none were available that I could find. It has been a while since I've used plugshare and it works a lot better on my computer than it does on the phone. The browser in the car often barely works. Sometimes that thi ng is like running Windows 95. A web page will lock up and take the dash bo ard down with it.

r minute could get rather expensive. Then CP pop up at $1.50 per hour of DC FC. Now, CT is zero. High price really invite competitions.

Tell that to the Tesla(s) parked overnight at some charging stations. I gu ess that's their home.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Free fuel and free parking. Proper reward for Saving The Earth.

--
[...]

The Tejon Pass rest area has 4 dual plugs (4 CCS and 4 CDM) DCFC. History has a very long memory.

Reply to
Ed Lee

[...]

chargers are happening.

I don't see too many Tesla or EA chargers coming online, but plenty of new EC, CP and CT dual chargers. EG still has the most installed unit in conve nient locations, but not growing much either.

Reply to
Ed Lee

[...]

nd

py

,

ion

e.

guess that's their home.

Junk yard parking is also free. After parking your ICE car there, you won' t be able to buy new non-EV after 2035 in CA.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I'll buy a few spare Audis in 2034.

I doubt the electric-only mandate will actually happen. It's an "executive order" by our airhead governor.

I figure that I spend an annualized average of about 4 minutes a week gassing up my car, including travel time to get to a gas station (about 15 seconds from work!) Cleaning the glass overlaps that time.

How many minutes a week do you spend charging your electric car? Include planning time before trips, extra driving, and waiting.