new energy source

You have it backwards. Make it smaller, get a lot more of them and end up with lots of current. This will only be realistic if it can be scaled down more-so than scaled up.

Once it is scaled down enough it will be sensitive to vibrations rather than just wind.

--

Rick
Reply to

Are you guys really that clueless? You don't think anyone plans to use this on a car roof do you? They are putting it on the car roof to test it as the easiest way to get the wind speeds they need at the moment.

--

Rick
Reply to

Nice one. I bet you fool a lot of people into thinking you are a conservative.

--

Rick
Reply to

I think they assumed the potato is boiled using a wood stove or campfire where the cost of wood is not much, and there is no electricity. The math might be 3 cups of water raised 80 degrees C with a well insulated pot for a energy requirement of about 60 watt-hours. That's about the same as a single 60mW LED for 1000 hours.

Bill Bowden

The zinc goes away. So don't forget the energy needed to make the cathode.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Hmm the links I found said the name came from rough prison garb on the male member. (so to speak.)

George H.

(The first thing to ask about silly energy making idea's is the lifetime vs. energy pay back time.)

Reply to
George Herold

Nah, it was a large treadmill at (iirc) Bedford Prison in England, originally used to grind flour for sale, so that the prisoners earned their keep. Later on it was used elsewhere (including over here) as an unproductive form of hard labour, like breaking rocks.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Breaking rocks was not an unproductive form of labor, just inefficient... those rocks were used as a base for roadbeds. ...Jim Thompson

I'd think that converting food to power via human muscles is a very expensive form of energy.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hard work makes people hungry. Lumberjacks and atheletes can consume

12,000 calories per day.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 08:59:58 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

They "work out" every day out in "the yard" beefing up so they can kill cops and commit crimes against citizens.

We should hunt down, and do to them what they think we are too timid to do.

And in jail, they should be put to task. Both mentally and physically, and MAYBE a good drill sgt type setting will straighten a few out, and we can reduce recidivism by a point or two.

I worked for a nutritionist who had "Mr. Universe" winners as clients. I know all about high calorie per day intake. And the OUTPUT it takes to burn it up.

This would be easy to implement nationwide. There are enough alternators in junk yards to get started, and the startup would pay for a better gen set on the bikes.

One step at a time, just like we have been doing with electronic chip fabs.

All it takes is a single commit, and then a follow through.

Something we claim, as a nation, to be so good at doing.

Show me some performance, you lazy bums!

Otherwise, you are worse than the criminals you have cowed down to!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Not so much in 1834, though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"Lotta rage, Harv, lotta rage."

- The Serial

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I read somewhere that most people didn't work very hard back in those days. Interesting thing to research, some day.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 09:44:05 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

The word for today is "Establish".

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

LOL! The idea of someone sitting in front of a computer reading about others not working very hard...

--

Rick
Reply to

vs. energy pay back time.)

It seems that the denialist propaganda machine has latched onto this. Some clown publishing in the Royal Australian Chemical Institute - for no obviou s reason - claimed that you had to have a payback of better than seven - ge nerating enough energy over the life of the device to recover seven times t he energy it cost to build it.

From an engineering point of view a payback factor of less than two is obvi ously into diminishing returns, but the factor of seven seemed arbitrary, a nd he certainly didn't justify it.

The same clown declared that thermal solar power plants (which have a payba ck factor of about 19) weren't any use because they didn't generate overnig ht, when in fact the the plants where they heat molten salt and use that to raise steam can in fact generate overnight because a really big tank of mo lten salt can have a thermal time constant of a few days.

age-comes-online/

The fact that they can deliver power overnight is the only economic argumen t in their favour - photovoltaic cells deliver more kilowatts per dollar of capital investment, but pumped power storage (water or compressed air) is expensive.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 09:44:05 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

I never really gave it much thought, even owning a copy of it, but,

Oh MY GOD...

EDGAR!

That man could work!

Turns out, it is now on my list of top live performances, even though it was studio... it was all of them together, not dubbed, which is absolutely amazing.