new board

It's a 24-channel synchro/LVDT simulator/acquisition thing, in VME format. It's *heavy* from all the plugin transformers. BGA FPGA and ARM chips, all on 6 layers. All we have to do now is make it work.

--
John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

John,

Great picture! it looks like there's a lot of weight canterlevered off that PCB. I don't see any holes near the transformers to bolt the board down. You could RTV the tops to an aluminum plate, pick up shielding over the top, bolt the plate solidly, *and* stiffen the board. I fear life testing/vibration will take your board apart. Will this board go into any field equipment?

Reply to
Robert Macy

It will plug into a VME card cage, in guides, and will have a front panel that screws into the front of the cage. The 96-pin DIN connector on the back helps hold things steady, too. So it's sort of supported along all four edges.

The transformers plug into spring sockets, with a lot of retention force. This board will be used in mostly test cells and lab-ish environments, so we don't expect a lot of vibration.

The resistors on the transformers do "transformer type ID", so the customer can tell what ratio transformers are plugged into which position. We'll digitize the resistor values and do a lookup table of some sort.

Well, so far the power supplies work...