Network Only Accesses Google

I don't know what you mean.

C:\windows\system32>netsh init ip reset reset.log The following command was not found: init ip reset reset.log.

I have found this command on various web sites which I copied, so I believe it is correct. I think the "int" refers to "interface" rather than init.

While digging around for this little nugget, I found the "access denied" problem is not unique to me. There is a regedit item that needs permissions opened up and I am going to try that after reading the rest of the posts here... maybe.

Thanks,

Rick

Reply to
rick.collins.2000

Yep, that did it. I had to reset the stack and reboot twice, but I'm back online now. :) Good thing I had the netbook. Otherwise I would have had to fire up the old XP desktop. With only 1 GB of RAM it doesn't run browsers any better than the netbook.

--

Rick
Reply to

I had network problems again today. I am on a fairly poor wireless internet provider, so every time I can't reach the Internet they get a call from me. Usually it just is running slow rather than out, but today I was dead in the water. I didn't feel like breaking out the netbook to see if it was my laptop or the WISP connection, so I did the usual routine of resetting the IP stack, ipconf'ing myself to death and rebooting between everything. After doing the whole thing a couple of times and waving some chicken bones in a paper bag I still couldn't even reach my router reliably. So I took a nap... not only good for preschoolers. When I awoke my Internet access was working again.

So can the ISP stuff be so messed up that I can't reach my own router? Or was this a problem with my PC that needed some quiet time to resolve itself? This hasn't happened in a while, but when it does it is totally frustrating. Nothing I do seems to help and then it just starts working again on its own.

I don't know if the IP reset was working or not. I have it in a batch file and I can't figure out how to get it to pause at the end rather than closing the window so I can read it.

--

Rick
Reply to

I've seen a Thompson-Alcatel ADSL router with a built-in switch that would quit switching LAN packets if the ADSL was down for long enough (hours?) so, yeah such devices have been known to loose LAN capabilities in the absense of WAN connectivity.

My current ADSL router is a cheap SMC unit. I've spliced a relay into the power lead so that I can reset it via softare command. the relay gets used 3-4 times per week in summer, and maybe twice a week in winter.

The batch command you need to add at the end is "pause"

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

open a cmd window and run it there instead you just running the bat file

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah, but that's a bit more of a PITA since I have to be in the right directory, etc. I guess I could use the desktop icon to open a window in the right directory, but then I still have to remember the name of the bat file. I recall in older versions of windows there was a setting to hold the window open after the cmd process was done. I can't find that now.

--

Rick
Reply to

I suppose that is the easiest solution. I've used the properties of the window to keep it open under other versions of Windows. I guess Win 8 dropped that feature or made is harder to set.

--

Rick
Reply to