Need help reading schematic

I found a pretty neat design at

and the circuit diagram is on

The descriptions can be found on other pages.

I decided I wanted to build it, and did a lot of research finding out what the values are for certain components and finding equivalent components on Newark, but he left out the description of the diode KD510. As far as I can tell, the only place that diode KD510 is mentioned, in all of the WWW, is on his webpage.

Then he forgot to describe the transformer on the DC/DC unit.

I'm not an EE, I'm only a tech and hobbyist, so maybe someone can help me?

Jason

Reply to
harvestdancer

Oh, for those who are interested.

KD212 is equivalent to Newark part 33C1016 KC482A is equivalent to Newark part 16F6180 FR207 is equivalent to Newark part 26C2837 T122-25-12 is equivalent to Newark part 48F1271 D122-25-14 is equivalent to Newark part 26C2837

Jason

Reply to
harvestdancer

To be fair, since the designer said "KD510 any small impulse diode". So that suggestion should probably work. It's the coils that are the real bugger.

He describes the main transformer as "I use ferrit drossel (usually from any small DC motors filter). This drossel has one-layer coil and ferrit pipe core with two axial pin. I turned second one-layer coil. The turns ratios per side are one to one."

The main inductor is described as "Main coil has 310-320 turns wire diameter 2 x 0.6 mm (one 0.85mm or pair 0.6mm). I have many 0.6mm wire and use pair instead of 0.85mm." It should be noted there's a hole through the center of the main inductor coil.

The sensor coil is described as "Sensor has 3 layer wire diameter

0.1mm. Sensor has ferrit core diameter 2.5 mm length 10 mm."

The DC/DC Unit transformer is describes as "The transformer in the DC/DC converter has ferrite caps core one inch diameter. First coil has 10 turn of 0.6 mm wire and second coil has 400 turns of 1.5 mm wire. Ferrite caps core has small non magnetic clearance (about

0.1mm)."

Now, I scanned Allied Electronics and Newark, and none of them describe their transformers or inductors that way.

Jason

Reply to
harvestdancer

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

(snip) but he left out the description of the diode

Any signal diode should do. I suggest 1N4148.

--
John Popelish
Reply to

Transformers in switching supplies are often custom-made for the supply. What he's describing is hand-winding his transformers on ferrite cores. It sounds like he did it b'guess and b'gosh from surplus ferrites. Either the application isn't critical, or he got lucky, or there's a lot of experimentation there he didn't tell you about.

So what you need to do is figure out how to replicate his performance. Chances are if you can get the dimensions of the cores he used you can take a wild guess about material and hope you're right.

Not knowing what is commonly used for DC motor filtering in Russia I'd say try 77 or 75 mix from Amidon --

If it were me I'd do some analysis and/or simulation on the circuit & design the transformers from there.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

He is telling you how he made the transformer. You can't buy these things.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Why's that, John? Is it simply the fact that there are 18^120 of them in existence?

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.
Reply to

The author is describing how you should manufacture the coils, yourself.

--
John Popelish
Reply to

them

1793.

diode".

the

and

coil.

wire

coil

describe

I was hoping to avoid that unless absolutely necessary. It seems to be absolutely necessary if I want to build this.

Oh well, I'll build these, and then measure them, and then find something at Newark with the same specs.

Jason

Reply to
harvestdancer