Need help with oven schematic

Here is a link for the schematic of my old (1985±) Jenn-air wall oven (si ngle).

Please note that the BR wire that is cut off at the bottom of the scan, goe s to the splice point to the right.

Said oven has been used many times in the "self-clean" mode to clean numero us metal car and motorcycle parts (my wife is wonderful), and frequently al l the disassembled parts to my popcorn machine. Said "self-clean" feature no longer works. Here is what is konwn:

Broiler heating element works. Bake heating element works. Oven works fin e as an oven and all timer functions work. Thermostat absolutely no longer obtainable, but, as mentioned, temperatures are maintained within a close range (check with remote sensing thermometer)while doing preheat, baking an d broiling.

Upon trying the clean cycle, the manual door-lock is prevented from being o pened, the oven reaches 580°F (suspiciously close to the 600°F limit sw itch and 600°F lock) and then suspiciously shuts off, thereby allowing th e door to be manually opened.

Can somebody with a good eye trace out this diagram and tell me where I cou ld take voltage or amperage readings to find the 'break' in the circuit. O f course the 975°F limit within the thermostat could be opening too early , and since no longer in production, that is what I would like to rule out.

Also, if somebody could explain the the symbols withing the thermostat. It appears that the 975° switch is normally closed? while the 600° switch is normally open. What pulls the 600° closed? Is that resistor symbol below, labeled SO, CO and OM, really a coil?

The oven is totally pulled out of the cabinet and all the parts and termina ls are accessible. My immediate hope is to (upon advice from group) be abl e to place a jumper somewhere and get one more cleaning cycle out of this o ven.

Thank you all,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

(single).

[...]

Check your timer.. Sounds like it is terminating too early in clean mode.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

(single).

[...]

Could be, but it times correctly in bake and broil mode. If you are correc t, how would I, using jumpers, keep it in clean mode while manually setting an alarm for myself. Typical clean times are 3-4 hours.

Thanks,

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

(single).

as an oven and all timer functions work. Thermostat absolutely no longer obtainable, but, as mentioned, temperatures are maintained within a close range (check with remote sensing thermometer)while doing preheat, baking and broiling.

opened, the oven reaches 580°F (suspiciously close to the 600°F limit switch and 600°F lock) and then suspiciously shuts off, thereby allowing the door to be manually opened.

the only things that can lock the door are not controlled by the timer, howm is the clean cycle started?

after 600 degrees thermostat switch closes power to the heating elements can only flow through "latch switch (power)" (which switch also disables the oven light).

make a copy an go over it with coloured pens, (you need not match the wire colours just do the inetsting bits, clean relay. power to the heating elements, thermostat, switches.

yes, if it wan't nothing would work.

yes, if not you would nt be able to open the door.

umm "600°"

probably not, it looks like a potentiometer. it's connected to the low voltage circuitry ib the timer.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

ven (single).

fine as an oven and all timer functions work. Thermostat absolutely no lo nger obtainable, but, as mentioned, temperatures are maintained within a cl ose range (check with remote sensing thermometer)while doing preheat, bakin g and broiling.

ng opened, the oven reaches 580°F (suspiciously close to the 600° F limit switch and 600°F lock) and then suspiciously shuts off, thereb y allowing the door to be manually opened.

d be

Thanks, Jason Betts, So, if I jump the 600° thermostat terminals, I will always get current and the clean cycle should work. Of course doing so would not fix or iden tify the problem, but it would (one time only) clean the parts waiting in t he oven? Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

it might do, what oven parts are invlved in starting the cleaning cycle?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

single).

Cute kid. Yours?

Have you searched the web?

Lot's of other hits..... The other option is to call a local repair guy. They may be able to tell you what to look for.

George H.

[...]

George Herold