Need a cheap source of TEN pin RJ45 plugs and crimping tools.

... to recycle some earlier bar code scanners.

Yes, TEN pin, not eight. Apparently the usual 8 pins are RS232 and the new ones are power and ground for the sensing gun.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

No. It is a non-standard , proprietary style.

RJ45 ONLY has ONE configuration. (ooops... see below)

If it does not match that then it is not RJ45.

The key is to search for "modular plugs".

10 pin modular plug pulls 134,000 hits.

You may find it easier to replace the entire cable length with one with the plug already fitted. The crimpers are not cheap, and terminating a new cable length would be decidedly cheaper, depending on how it is terminated in the device(s).

It seems the 10 pin variety IS called an RJ-45 "variant". Which is weird, since all the other modular plug" configurations get their own monikers. They are deemed as rare and specialized.

Reply to
FatBytestard

:

th

I've bought 10 pin cables at Excess Solutions in Milpitas Ca. The jacks as well.

miso

Apparently a second name for this connector is a RJ-50. But "10 pin RJ45" seems to be the norm.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

What I was saying is that a pre-made cable might be a cheaper solution.

One doesn't need a crimper, or the degree of precision needed. Just buy the pre-made, chop off one end, and terminate the other in place of the original.

Reply to
FatBytestard

one: (928)428-4073

RJ45 is not 10 pins. RJ stands for "registered jack", originally engineered by Bell Labs/Western Electric pursuant to an FCC order to publish standards for connectors to be used in telephone systems after ATT lost a federal court monopoly case. There are only certain types of RJs specified. Wandering beyond the known world of the published specifcations will find the monsters lurking there.

And I'll bet your RS232 isn't also.

Reply to
Richard Henry

most of barcode readers I've encounterd speak rs-232 and "keyboard" and use some pins for each purpose

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Mope. There ARE 10 pin RJ-45 "modular plugs", which is the class of connector they are.

I thought the same thing, but it most certainly true. There is a connector designation that has more than one actual connector assigned to it.

I thought they were around prior to that (the monopoly kill).

FOR PHONES. There are OTHERS for other applications.

Yes, and when whomever did so, nobody noticed. I suspect it was added conductors for some new variant to the Ethernet spec that never came about.

You are just full of assumptions, 'eh?

Reply to
FatBytestard

Just buy a new one at Fry's or the like. Most new jobs are USB.

Reply to
Mycelium

The problem is that I have a zillion old ones RS232 that I would like to cheaply sell if I can make them talk at all.

There still should be a market for $9 scanning barcode guns, even if they are serial.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

he

ce phone: (928)428-4073

2

es

one: (928)428-4073

What ever happened to the quecat?

Reply to
miso

I guess that this means that you are not a serial killer.

Reply to
Mycelium

Google 10P10C. Also there are some crimp tools on eBay.

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian C

phone: (928)428-4073

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT

GIVE IT UP FREAK !

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

the

with

Since you are still here, where can i get a sample of your "hand written" PostScript to try to use to get some more understanding of the language?

Reply to
JosephKK

Here is the API / SDK / etc.

FatBytestard

the

ne with

ing a

ch is

e quoted text -

NICE LOOKING THE IGNORANT OF YOU

NOT MUCH EFFORT FROM YOUR PART FOR THAT

YOU LOW LEVEL POORLY EDUCATED BULLISH FUCKTARD

COMPLAIN ALL YOU WANT

I AM GOING TO TEAR YOU A NERW ANUS EVERY TIME

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV