Mystery Part

I think we may be there - thanks:

This EPCOS part looks very like it. I suspect they don't use it as intended but possibly as a volt proof input resistor - hard to tell without tracing the circuit and working out what it connects to.

Emboldened by specs for similar looking 180 ohm parts I confirmed it's a PTC by boldly putting 30V across it with 200mA current limit, the psu current limited at 200mA for a few seconds and then the current dropped to 35mA or so.

Great - probably the cause of the fault.

Thanks again.

MK

Reply to
Michael Kellett

Check TDK catalog?

RL

Reply to
legg

I think you are in the UK? Farnell and RS have those parts too.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

PTCs tend to live short and difficult lives on account of thermal shock.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Could well be what killed this one - by making its ends detach. I'm a little worried that if this fixes the controller it won't fix the tractor - maybe some other fault is repetitively over-volting the input that this device protects.

We won't know until we try it.

And then the owner will complain about the horrendous bill.

MK

Reply to
Michael Kellett

Yes, I've ordered some Murata parts from Farnell - it was the only close physical match in 180 ohms.

MK

Reply to
Michael Kellett

Amazing - I'd already looked under microscope and not seen anything. With careful lighting and a digital camera microscope I could read what the phot doesn't show:

its a PTC C890 !

Thanks for your help.

MK

Reply to
Michael Kellett

Ok that helps. C890 maps onto (confusingly) three Epcos types:

B598** series, leaded disk, coated 230V

--------------------------------------- C890 30 60 0.2 5 120 150 84 X X B59890C0120A070 C890 15 40 0.2 3 80 150 78.7 X X B59890C0080A070

B598*0 series, leaded disk, coated 110V

--------------------------------------- C890 35 70 0.2 6 150 78.7 X X B59890C0160A070

piglet

Reply to
piglet
[...]

These types are 150 Ohm PTCs for different voltages. Unfortunately, they don't look like the one from Michael's photos:

HTH

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

I copied this from the Epcos data sheet for series B598**, January 2009,

C890 80 4.0 7.5 0.5 C890 120 4.0 7.5 0.5

C890 30 60 0.2 5 120 150 84 B59890C0120A070

It means that the parts are 4mm diameter and the drawing makes then 5mm max long - seems about right.

I've ordered some so I'll soon know.

Thanks for your help.

MK

Reply to
Michael Kellett

He should try owning a new one that they won't let you repair yourself.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs
[snip]

I watched an episode of millennial farmer the other day where he's using a new loaner DJ tractor and planter. He planted 100 ac and never touched the steering wheel or raised or lowered the planter at the end of the row. Everything was automatic all while the planter was placing about 300 seeds per second with 99.99% accuracy. Of course that new setup would probably be well north of $400K.

--
Chisolm
Texas-American

Tractor fixed !

in that context.

MK

Reply to
Michael Kellett

There is a right to repair group who is making some headway in the fight ag ainst such onerous policies. Not only does the farmer have to pay high pri ces for "approved" repairs, the farmer is often down for days waiting for t he repair to happen, in particular at the busy time of season. repair.org

They also fight for repair rights in other areas such as using copyright to restrict repairs (common with the farm machinery companies). I sent them some money a while back.

BTW, it wouldn't hurt to trim once in a while.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

l=0

NTC

yTa?dl=0

ard to

.

ck.

bad

Good Job!

Reply to
blocher

Good job, shame about the price. These manufacturers have you by the 'nads with their extortionate spare part prices and it's becoming more and more difficult to do the sort of maintenance jobs our fathers and grandfathers routinely undertook without a second thought.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

There is a group working on this:

The Repair Association .