Musings on LCDs

This, I seriously doubt. The sapphire in those watches was in the bearings. Or at least it was in the 1950s when my Dad was a Wyler watch rep. ;-)

But, I can see glass strengthened where those little bolts would bounce off - maybe they're made of tin. ;-) And they didn't go very deep into that board.

AFAIK, they use a process similar to case-hardening.

Or, it could be some new plastic - 1/4" lexan would probably put up with that.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise
Brendan Gillatt

Sapphire for windows, Ruby for bearings.

    Boris Mohar
Reply to
Boris Mohar