LCD: module or chip-on-glass?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out which are the main differences between an "LCD display module" and an "LCD chip-on-glass module".

I noticed that chip-on-glass modules are much cheaper.

thanks, Enrico

Reply to
zigbee

A non-COG module will have a PCB with the chip(s) mounted to it, and an elastomer or other connector between the glass and the PCB.

Difficulty with a COG module is that you need a method for connecting to the glass.

Reply to
larwe

bingo! they are cheap, I buy dip LCD's chip-on-glass modules for 40 cents in low quantities (

Reply to
steve

That's does not sound like COG; more like "bare glass". *C* OG has to have a chip (driver or controller/driver on the glass.

The main difference is the construction technique.. usually non-COB modules these days are COB (chip-on-board). I've seem some pretty low- contrast crappy performance COG modules, so maybe you get less when you pay less, though offhand I don't know why that would be. Typically the COG module is going to have a heat sealed flat cable or pins as on some bare glass displays. I suppose they could have contacts for zebra connectors as on bare glass, but I've not see them like that.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

my mistake I though he was talking about bare glass vs COG

Reply to
steve

Do you have a part number for the module I could have - I've been looking for that sort of thing (admittedly not that hard or I'd have probably found one by now!)

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Hi guys,

thanks for your prompt and complete answers.

How about back illumination on COG's?

thanks, Enrico

Reply to
zigbee

What about it? The COG modules I use have a plastic backbplate with LED's on the side.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang