guidance on selecting rugged flat panel display

I'm creating some specifications for a 6" color graphics flat panel display in a rugged environment application that requires wide temp range, sunlight readable, shock & vib resistance, etc. I've embarked on an effort to learn more about LCDs and especially what all the vendor specs *really* mean and what options are out there. I'm picking up tidbits from trade magazines, vendor websites, and other web sites like the US Display Consortium, but I can't find any kind of article or book that provides comprehensive guidance on rugged LCD selection that is current. Like for example what makes one CCFL backlight more rugged than another one ? I've yet to find a salesperson who can really answer my questions other than to say yeah ours does all that.

Using the go with what everybody else is doing technique, I can see that the general trend in rugged flat panel displays now is for active TFT LCDs with CCFL backlights and transflective screens, with some moves to LED backlighting. But I want to understand the specs and tradeoffs.

Does anybody have any ideas on articles or books that have comprehensive and timely info on flat panel display selection in rugged applications, with a slant on LCDs ? Or even ruggedization techniques for sunlight readable commercial grade LCDs ?

Reply to
James

display

sunlight

learn

guidance

the

with

and

You might look into milatary specs and articles on displays. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

James, it all depends on how "rugged" your application is. LCDs are pretty much ruled out of the picture for, say, tactical military systems because of their lack of tolerance to extremes of temperature. Shadow mask CRTs are similarly ruled out due to their susceptibility to the effects shock and vibration.

What is left are neon plasma flat panel displays and penetration phosphor color CRTs, both of which remain widely deployed for naval tactical applications and use on tanks and other types of tactical armored vehicles.

Most military organizations today often quantify "ruggedness" in terms of the product's ability to survive the MIL-STD-901 shock test, some specified vibration test, and a 30-day simulated life-cycle test that involves temperature extremes from (IIRC) temperatures from -80 C to

+55 C with humidities ranging from 20% to 100% (non-condensing).

Fortunately most of todays commercial and scientific (including medical) applications do not justify a need for such ruggedness. However, some industrial field applications do.

My suggestion would be to review mil-specs covering the devices that interest you, determine which vendors products meet these specs, and go from there.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

James

Reply to
james

And your point in posting this link to a typical commerical quality display is?

If something like this will do the job for your application, then fine. Just don't confuse it with some sort of a ruggedized device (which I perhaps mistakenly thought was what you were asking about).

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover