Music Servers

Jim might be looking for a smaller, single function device.

I might have seen something like this in a Circuit Cellar article. When I get a chance, I'll check through my pile of back issues.

his isn't a device that the RIAA would like. Although I don't think they'd have an issue with its use on a home network, it could be re-purposed for Internet rebroadcast of their precious content.

Is the Orb stuff configured in some way to prevent packets from routing into the real world?

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Was that intended as a clever way of saying Iraq and Afghanistan aren't in "the real world?"

Reply to
flipper

Yep. Ideally an "appliance" that plugs into the network, and plays inputted music onto an IP address, preferably "streaming".

...Jim Thompson

Did you not see the other two similar 'PC' solutions?

Microsoft Expressions 4 encoder (XP, Vista, Seven) is probably the 'easiest' for popping a tuner on the sound card and broadcasting it out as you simply select 'live input', pick the sound card source, "cue," tick streaming-broadcast, and hit 'start'.

Winamp is a bit more complex (separate server, manually editing a config file, etc) but if you also want to stream local files I think it's media browser makes that simpler than Expressions because you can select directories and playlists vs 'files'. (Expressions seems more geared to broadcasting a 'prepared presentation'.)

One of the things I like about both of those, though, is neither requires 'signing in' to anything (although Winamp allows you to sign up to their shoutcast radio list if you'd like to be a public 'Internet radio station').

Btw, I notice the same 'delay' before sound issueth forth on the receiving end with Expressions as I did with Winamp.

Reply to
flipper

Thanks for the info! ...Jim Thompson

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news:ZeydnbES44F4LNzQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.isomediainc:

Nope. I've been running Orb from a TV card (Hauppauge) hooked to the local cable company for years. It doesn't even crash WinXP. It converts whatever you select to whatever codec you've also selected on the fly and sends it to whatever browser called it from wherever on the planet.

Dad connects the Army's laptop browser to his Orb at home from a tent in Iraq. Because it requires no "install" on the remote unit, Army paranoia isn't triggered. Dad has full control of the Orb-connected TV card to watch any channel by remote control. Dad switches to the football game at 2AM in Baghdad and plugs the Army laptop into the big TV monitor's VGA port so his buddies can watch their teams lose. Talk about a great resource for the troops!

Dad connects Orb to the living room webcam and watches his kids playing, then, calls them on the other computer at home to chat on Skype video call. Dad can also get the pictures/movies/videos Mom has put in Orb's playing directories on demand.

My little direct support of the troops living in the fields. Once they know how to use it, it's very stable running 24/7. Even Grandma can connect to it and check on the kids pouring milk into the fishtank!

Reply to
Fred

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news:ZeydnbES44F4LNzQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.isomediainc:

Oh, Orb has username/password to limit access. None of the ones I've installed has been hacked that I can detect. We have them setup on odd ports, which confounds most of the scanners that don't want to go through all 65,535 ports.

Reply to
Fred

I should mention that Expressions encoder is, well, the encoder (as opposed to Expressions Studio). The encoder is a free MS download.

I'm pretty sure Winamp 'free' will do broadcast streaming (via a free DSP plugin to the free Shoutcast DNAS server) but can't verify that as I have the 'pro' version.

The Shoutcast DNAS server has a cute feature that it can broadcast a select file on user connect, before going to the live stream, like a station ID or welcome. It can also play a file if the source is down, like you could record "I screwed up and it's currently broke." LOL

Reply to
flipper