"Mouser UK"

Mouser recently has a *sort of* UK presence. Hopefully they'll be a lot better than Farnell; god knows it wouldn't be hard. Customers in the UK can order via their website mouser.co.uk or over the phone (London number) but *all* the stock has to come from Texas apparently - at least for the time being - and takes 2-3 working days to arrive with the customer in the UK. No minimum order quantity, but orders under UKP33 attract a fairly hefty delivery charge. Anyone tried 'em yet?

Cursitor Doom

I use them a lot. They are good.

The very nicely designed website is better than Farnell's and they have a much bigger range of parts.

Over 50 quid is free delivery and it takes 2-3 days. Remember much of Farnell's stock is also US held; you discover this when you order anything remotely unusual.

Digikey is another US firm similar to Mouser but with an even bigger range. For some reason I haven't used them much.

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Reply to
Peter

No,

Farnell delivers from UK and central EU based. When I order until

19.00 CE(S)T, I get the part the next day, often in two deliveries.

Bye

--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

I often order from Newark in the U.S., and discover that much of their stock is at Farnell in the U.K.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Farnell UK do make it clear on their website which stock is UK and which is USA held. I have used Mouser and Digikey for delivery to the UK. Both are reasonably good. They both add UK VAT, so there is usually no delay at customs. It is sometimes possible to order from Digikey late on Friday evening and have the goods delivered on Monday. With Mouser it has usually been on the Tuesday, but Digikey also sometimes take until Tuesday, so there is really very little to choose between them. John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Farnell != Newark

--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Both are part of element14, and are Avnet companies.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I've had parts from Australia, Singapore, USA and UK. for me stuff from Australia arrives the next day, so if I'm in a hurry I check availability.

Jasen Betts

For the last 15 years I've bought pretty much every thing electronic from Farnell. Since the Avnet takeover they have drifted slowly downhill, website has become much worse, out of stock issues increased and recently loss of Linear Tech,, Analog and TI has rendered them pretty much useless as a single source for parts. I do my own ordering and make only very small numbers of anything (prototypes or tiny runs (like 1 or 2 - occasionally 5)). Recently I've switched (from F) and try and buy all the parts from Mouser first and top up from Farnell, RS, Digikey (in that order). I've had no cause to regret this (apart form sentimentality). The 3 day wait is sometimes a problem, but on the other hand Mouser have a much wider selection of parts.

MK

Reply to
Michael Kellett

How weird. I had always assumed that the US side was much bigger.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Like you say it's a shame about Farnell, but the service is now IMO so bad it's come to the end of the road AFAIC. I didn't realise Digikey operate in the UK, though. That's news to me so I'm guessing it's a recent development. How have you found them to be?

Cursitor Doom

The reason is Custom Office. Mouser do all they can to help you -- you pay once and forget about the issue, with DigiKey it's your problem.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Where did you get that weird idea?

I see the _final_ price, click on buy now, they use my Visa card and in less than 2 days the UPS man rings my door bell. From Thief River Falls to my small town in SW Germany. 36h on a good day.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

From practice, Gerhard. If purchased from Mouser, it is simply delivered. I from DigiKey, the Customs Office (actually, the DHL Customs Agency) calls me and asks strange questions. Weird, indeed.

Western Poland.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

There's also Rapid:

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Digi-key to Finland comes with UPS, no customs issues whatsoever.

--
mikko
Reply to

That's not a DK thing, that is DHL "Express".

DK via UPS, Cologne: wonderful. Mouser via Fedex, Paris CDG: wonderful PCBWAY via Leipzig, .de : THE HORROR

10 boards 100*100 mm cost $5 from PCBway. Add $18 to $24 for DHL. PCBway usually makes the board the same day. Then it takes 3 days with DHL to Leipzig.

Already the next day I get call / fax / email / whatever that $5 is impossible, they know that such things must cost more. I should proof it. I send the screen dump of my Visa transaction.

Then: oh, there are 10 boards. That cannot be private activity. Must be commercial. They need my EORI number. Luckily, I do have one.

Since I know in advance what will happen, I send all data proactively. Last time: Still they ask me for my EORI number, via snail mail. OMG, in the address section of their letter, right below my name, stands my EORI 123456!

I think that they actively try to enforce that you have to pay something at the border, with the intent that they can cash in their 14? handling & money lending fee.

When you are in western Poland, you are probably "served" by the same airport / facility. It's only 50 km or so to the border.

That has nothing to do with Digikey.

Sigh, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann
[snip -- that is all true, also happened to me]

I'll stick to the utilitarian definition. Ordering from DigiKey==problems, ordering from Mouser==no problems whatsoever, so I avoid buying from DK. You might very well be right, but then so what? It will not change my situation at all.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

  1. They have a small number of unique parts not available elsewhere.
  2. They obtain some items faster and sell them with a much lower MoQ than Mouser/DK. Try to buy psmnr70-40sshj for example.
  3. They are able to produce nice flat electrolytic capacitors from the regular axial leaded ones thanks to some advanced magic in their packaging department. ;-)

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Hey, that's a 300A part in a 5x6mm package, for pete's sake! How about PSMNR70-40SSHJ, 425 amps!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win