Bloody Mouser!

I can't get any sense out of Mouser's website. You'd have thought finding a diode would be simple enough; the spec ain't that hard to meet: 600V 3A fast recovery diode with through-hole cylindrical encapsulation. Can I find one on their site? Nope! Seems they don't stock them any more. The original part number was SR3523 but no data available on the net! Anyone got any old diode data books to hand?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Got a whole sheet of them. Just use the filters.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

None of those are fast recovery types, though. And on my browser at any rate, the filters keep clearing by themselves.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's strange for Agent. I think there is a setting to make filters global with no timeout.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Wolstenholme

UF5406

Paul Babiak

Well done, Paul! Many thanks for that.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Which, of course, was the third one down on the list I linked. I guess Paul realized that you need your information spoon-fed.

Peter WIeck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

There's nothing in the description given which indicates this is a fast recovery type and Mouser do generally state that if it's applicable.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You need to check the datasheet to find that info. Quote from the datasheet: UF5400, UF5401, UF5402, UF5403, UF5404, UF5405, UF5406, UF5407, UF5408

Vishay General Semiconductor Soft Recovery Ultrafast Plastic Rectifier End quote Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Well, quite. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in the details listed by Mouser in the 'description' column. They *usually* state if a diode has a fast recovery time in that column - but not in the case of this particular diode for some reason. :-/

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

UF, hmmmmmmm... could that mean "ultra fast"?????

Spoon fed.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

Could have but might not have. The original part had an SR prefix. Use your powers of divination to work out what that means, since you're so gifted.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

SR, back in the day (remember, the OEM number is obsolete) = Silicon Rectifier. Back in the day, that meant something.

As in: 1N4007 is a standard silicon rectifier at 1A at 1,000 volts. Whereas an UF4007 is a fast-recovery silicon rectifier at 1A at 1,000 volts.

Make an effort. "Poor me" just does not cut it.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

Make an effort? The page you linked to had 90 devices listed and I would have had to read through up to 90 datasheets to find the right one out of that lot. So yes, that certainly *would* have required an effort! Paul gave a precise and succinct answer to the question which saved me a lot of time. If that's "spoon-feeding" then I'd like to see a lot more of it on Usenet.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Correct. The legacy purpose for usenet is for folks to help one another.

You'll receive no help frpm Peter Wieck ... just crude, snide comments.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

I hear you, but that's why you need to try different approaches. I found that diode by the following argument in the Mouser search box: diode 600V 3A fast through hole That brought me to a page that showed 47 diodes - scrolling down it was the third diode pictured. There are a lot more shown that would meet your needs. Learning different approaches to searching the supplier's sites is often helpful. That does not deny the fact that it can be a pain in the butt.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I think you're 100% correct. Being in the UK, Mouser is my supplier of last resort as it's far more expensive than European sources. Consequently, I rarely visit the site and never get enough familiarity to find my way around its various little quirks.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Thanks for the heads-up. I did wonder if I was being trolled.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

big snip

The UF5406 is a pretty generic part, is there not a supplier in the UK that carries it? Like RS Components?

With apologies to Mr. Wieck, if I'm being too helpful.

Reply to
Paul Babiak

Haha! :-D

RS have been around a *very* long time in the UK, along with a bunch of others such as CPC, Farnell and whatever. However, their delivery record is not good. At least with Mouser, although it has to come all the way from Texas, it's trackable and gets to me quicker than RS can manage. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom