motor architecture (2023 Update)

From a review of the new Ferrari SF90 hybrid: the front axle is powered by two axial flux motors. A radial flux motor sits between the gasoline engine and gearbox.

What's this axial/radial flux thigamajig?

Another question: the V8 utilizes 32 valves. Why 4 valves per cylinder? One intake, one exhaust, and two for ... (maybe backup, after engine meltdown; 986 hp!!)

There must be a few motorheads here -

Reply to
RichD

Try 2 intake and 2 exhaust :-) There are some good rundowns on the axial flux motors on google. All to do with the placement of the magnets as I recall.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

With 2 intake and 2 exhaust valves you can get more valve area for a given bore, compared to only 1 of each. Some motorcycles use 3 intakes and 2 exhaust. Smaller valves are lighter and you need less lift for the same total flow so there is less stress on the valvetrain at a given flow compared to a two valve engine, or you can run higher rpms at the same stress level for more horsepower if you want to do the tradeoff that way. Most high performance 4V engines also use dual overhead cams (one for intake and one for exhaust) so no pushrods and another big reduction in valvetrain weight for even more rpm potential.

Reply to
Carl

yeh, there are very few engines use 5 valve because it is barely better than 4 but very few engines that isn't based on some ancient design that isn't 4 valve

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Because you can't move as much air/exhaust with just two (total). Power = air. It has to do with geometry...

Reply to
Don Y

Before anything else, a conventional ICE is an air pump. The performance is dominated by how much air you can get into and out of the cylinders. More air means more fuel and more power. That's why a turbo is such an improvement, it pumps better than the pistons do. The valves are in the way of everything and they work optimally when you get them out of the way as much as possible, both for mechanical reasons as well as airflow. Multiple, smaller valves fit into the available space better giving more space for air flow given the size of the bore, stroke and compression ratio.

Reply to
Rick C

We are so fortunate to do electronics. We can scribble a circuit and simulate it and build it and test it in an hour. We can do that on a pcb in a week or two. We can probe all the nodes, thermal image the parts, even measure currents. Parts are cheap and easy to replace.

The poor ME engine designers have a much tougher time, both building and measuring.

Reply to
jlarkin

Axial-flux motors used to be called 'pancake motors', seen mainly in inverter-driven precision motors (tape transport for old computers often used such). Some of the new variants seem to be lighter'than conventional induction motors, and much shorter (less magnetic path to actuate).

This outfit makes some...

whit3rd

RichD <r snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:995a242d-5450-46d0- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

On the first... think of flux. Now think of it having an orientation. Now examine the terms again.

As to the second...

No way! You've never heard of four valves per cylinder engines?

They have been around on bikes for decades and then 4 then 6 then 8 cylinder car engine makers incorporated them.

Consider CFM. Consider that the intake must be larger than the exhaust. Consider that stuffing two large and two small valves into a cumbustion chamber deftly allows for more intake CFM which means more power and better efficiency throughout the rpm range.

One large intake and smaller exhaust does not as effectively utilize the combustion chamber roof surface and also does not "breathe" as well (OHV systems). And has a tumultuous track through its rpm range of operation. A few more valve train parts is easy HP gain. Some have perfected it. That 986 HP is likely at a very high rpm, so those valves are undoubtedly shoved on by roller cam. Less unsprung weight in smaller four valve per cylinder arrangements allow for higher rpm. Smaller valves make for smoother port tuning through the operation range as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Doe snipped-for-privacy@message.header wrote in news:se602e$th9$5@dont- email.me:

God damn! You have to be Usenet's most retarded poster! Oh look, Bill... It's John D'Oh!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

As ironically stated by the John Doe snipped-for-privacy@message.header troll in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me who has posted yet another incorectly formatted USENET posting on Sun, 1 Aug 2021 11:20:46 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <se602e$th9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

As ironically stated by the John Doe snipped-for-privacy@message.header troll in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me who has posted yet another incorectly formatted USENET posting on Sun, 1 Aug 2021 14:46:13 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <se6c3k$ld0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

That wasn't a jab. I was just noting how easy it is for electronic designers to simulate, measure, and modify our designs. Do you do any of that?

I can touch an IC pin with a scope probe and save the waveform. An ME has a very hard time measuring the temperature profile of a valve stem in an engine running at 6000 RPM. I can imagine lots of ideas and optimizations that never get done.

I used to design pipeline supervisory control systems and ship propulsion automation. I remember doing fun stuff like lying on a hot asbestos pad on a giant noisy steam valve turning a trimpot. I have stories from my seafaring days.

Probably 20% of the EUV-scale ICs made now, and 98% of the ones made with EUV scanners, are controlled by our gear. So you have some products, probably a lot of them, that we control the manufacture of.

We helped develop the GTF and F35 engines. You may have flown on a plane with a Pratt GTF engine. We time and modulate NIF. Lots of fun stuff.

Every one of our designs starts with lots of scribbling. The paper-pad budget is ruinous.

What's the point of making up erroneous insults? They just make you look dumb. Is Sloman one of your nyms?

Did you design that? We are probably firing the lasers that fab those chips.

Reply to
jlarkin

I think there have been 3-valve engines, and of course no-valve engines.

Reply to
jlarkin

Who doesn't?

One of my friends went a bit further and fired a laser into a car-engine cylinder while it was running and looked at the gas flows as the spark-plug ignited the air-fuel mixture.

<snip>

Except that what you are taking about is the scheme that Phil Hobbs worked out to keep track of the droplets of molten tin that get hit by a laser to generate the EUV light.

You got to put together the electronics that makes it work, but Phil Hobbs told you what to build.

And there's a great deal more than just the light source in in the AMSL photolithography machine.

Electron-beam microfabricators that write the masks are pretty complicated too - I've worked on them.

You've made some contribution, but not quite as large as you like to claim.

Largely because you don't listen carefully enough when people tell you what they need you to build.

John Larkin expects to be fulsomely flattered. He gets distinctly ratty when he doesn't get his fix of flattery, and claims that he is being insulted..

<snip>

You played a small part in that. Don't let it go to your head.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Engine valve material and design particulars have been honed in on decades ago and an engineer incorporates those known parameters into their designs. There are even 9/16 inch stem diameter hollow exhaust valves from Ford, which are filled with Sodium. I think they know what they are doing after seeing millions of engine valves in working engines.

A propane converted ambulance came in to a place I worked at for a rebuild and the combustion chambers were all stained red and those chambers got so hot that the exhaust valve springs pulled the valve, seat and all up into the head, deforming the combustion chambers and destroying the heads. The valves all fared just fine.

You can try to imagine, but without that (qualified) ME degree, you are likely guessing worse even than Donald John Trump guessed and stumbled his way through his failed life.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Oh boy. Don't you mean that ONE aspect of their process is controlled by one of your devices, not the entire process.

We sold an HV power supply to Cymer years ago. They may or may not still use them and they may or may not still be in the chip manufacturing game. The company was since bought up by a conglomerate (the HVPS company).

I suspect that you know who Cymer Corp. is or was.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I built three complete 14 rack "Stimulators" for the F-35 project. They were used down at the big Benefield Anechoic Chamber. Also the F-22, the B-1B, the Predator drone, etc.