GSM Receiver Architecture

Hi

I am going to implement an GSM receiver. Which receiver architecture you propose?

Regards

Reply to
Designer2004

Hi

I should choose between Super het, Direct conversion and digital architectres

Regards

Reply to
Designer2004

You should implement all three architectres(sic) and wire them in parallel. Use large (minimum 8") knife switches to gate in RSSI from each stage. Make sure to use gold-plated oxygen-free cables in between all system components. For bonus points, hand-carve the cabinet from a block of teak.

As part of the system documentation you should include minutes from the first Groupe Speciale Mobile meeting.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

According to Boki, you certainly need the modulator for the next technology life. Look at his past posts on this subject.

I suspect you are Boki, though :-).

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

With something as complicated as GSM, you'll inevitably end up digitizing at IF or baseband and perform demodulation digitally (the "all digital" architecture of Antenna->ADC->DSP still has rotten performance at GSM frequencies). Hence, if you choose a low enough IF, the choice between super heterodyne or direct conversion becomes something of a non-issue. Direct conversion is in vogue at the moment, although most of the things I've read from people that I respect suggest that designing a _good_ direct conversion receiver is not that much easier than designing a good superhet receiver.

I suggest you visit Maxim or TI or other large semiconductor vendors who play in the RF and/or DSP arenas and check out their design guides. They'll show standard architectures, which I'd suggest you get one or two of working first before becoming creative and designing your own from scratch!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I recommend the use of a tuned circuit and flame detector for this appliction, however if you feel like cheating on the assignment you can buy a pre-assembled one, called an audion tube.

Reply to
cs_posting

All-tube with gold plated wires and a platinum case for ultimate hifi performance.

Reply to
Paul Burke