most appropriate high speed interface

Hello community,

I am a student of electrical engineering and in the course of a laboratory I am currently designing a serdes chip and looking for an adequate interface for the I/Os. Power dissipation an chip space are the most relevant aspects. What I do is a 10Gbit/s to 1 Gbit/s deserializing. On the input I am using LVDS signals, so what would be an appropriate signalling on the output for 1Gbit/s signals? Is it possible to transmit 1 Gbit/s single ended or do I need to use differential signalling? Unfortunately that means double the pad number and thus double chip space, but chip space is expensive. Because the supply budget is limited I want a minimum on power dissipated at the output buffers. What transmission standard would be advisable in that respect?

Thank you very much in advance Jan

Reply to
Jan van Timpeln

If the design were for the most common 9.6 GB/s system then 8 to 1 is the correct ratio. Or 4 to 1 or 16 to 1. At 16 to 1 single ended becomes reasonable. bad choice of follow up groups, this not a cad issue currently.

--
JosephKK
Reply to