MOSFET: why is it called Miller plateau?

From Wiki:

"The Miller effect was named after John Milton Miller. When Miller published his work in 1920, he was working on vacuum tube triodes; however, the same theory applies to more modern devices such as bipolar and MOS transistors."

I'm a fan of naming things after their discoverers (or inventors)--Johnson noise, Fano bandwidth, Nyquist theorem, Fourier transform, Eccles-Jordan flip flop, Widlar/Brokaw bandgaps, Gilbert cell, Widlar/Wilson/Thompson current mirrors, .... It makes it clear to students that these things had to be invented by somebody, so maybe they could have a circuit or theorem or algorithm named after them. Inspiring, that's what it is. (*sniff sniff*)

Of course some folks are so productive that using their name isn't specific enough, e.g. calling a theorem "Gauss's" or "Euler's" doesn't narrow things down very much. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I wonder about Nyquist's (sampling) theorem. I've seen publications by Nyquist that state the sampling theorem in a sort-of handwaving way, but it was Shannon who nailed it rigorously and concisely.

However, neither Shannon nor Nyquist really deserve the honour. I believe the honour should go to E.T Whittaker, who came up with it in 1915, thirteen years before Nyquist even hinted at it.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Someone noted that all the great inventors at Bell Labs in those days had one thing in common. They all had lunch with Harry Nyquist.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

That's the Whittaker of Whittaker & Watson, "A treatise on Bessel functions"? (Great book--helped me a lot in grad school.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I don't think Whittaker had any involvement in Bell labs. He was a British (Scot) mathematician, professor at the University of Edinburgh.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Brain fart. Watson wrote the one on Bessel functions, and he and Whittaker wrote "A course in modern analysis". Another great book.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's the one, indeed. The sampling theorem, although he doesn't call it that, appears in this paper: "On the functions which are represented by the expansions of the interpolation theory", Proc. Royal Soc. Edinburgh, Sec.A, Vol.35,

1915, pp. 181?194.

A bit wordy according to current fashion, but very clear. He must have been an excellent teacher.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Awesome. I'll have a squint at the paper. (Probably even money that Gauss invented it even earlier--he invented the FFT, after all.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs