Why do JFET/FET amps experience the miller effect? There isn't any feedback

Could someone explain why a self biasing JFET amp (for example:

would display the miller effect? There isn't any feedback, so there shouldn't be any miller effect.. right?

From what I've read "The miller effect is the effective multiplication

of a impedance across a negative gain device."

In Erno Boberly's great article "JFETS: The New Frontier Part I"

he mentions how the JFET amp can have this huge input capacitance with a large gain. But.. these amps don't have feedback... so why?

Thanks Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

There is a capacitance between the FET drain and gate. This arises due to the fact that the gate and channel are separated by only a PN junction. That capacitance acts as a feedback element. So your premise, "don't have feedback", does not apply. (Your conclusions would be sensible, otherwise.)

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

It also arises from the capacitance of the silly plastic breadboard thingie.

John

good point! Thanks to all.

Reply to
Stephen

I read in sci.electronics.design that Stephen wrote (in ) about 'Why do JFET/FET amps experience the miller effect? There isn't any feedback', on Tue, 12 Apr 2005:

There IS feedback, via the drain-gate capacitance. This is analogous to the very original Miller effect, due to the anode/plate-control grid capacitance in triode valves/tubes.

Note and admire the bilingual exegesis. (;-)

If the gate voltage goes down by a small amount, the drain voltage goes up by that amount multiplied by the stage gain. So the capacitor demands charge as if it had a capacitance larger by a factor equal to the stage gain.

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

What? ?8-\

Reply to