Modem genius wanted

I'm at the end of the road on this and perhaps there is someone out there who may have a clue why I'm having this problem.

I have a couple of modems that I've tried, with the same result.

I'm talking to the modem using AT commands and the serial port.

I'm using BOTH hyperterminal and visual basic in my attempts.

Here's the problem ---

I can get an OK response on any valid command I send to the modem and it doesn't matter what mode the modem is in.....(data, voice or command).

BUT

I CANNOT get any response to my dialout command (ATDT13174446354 & cr) (for example).

The modem will get dial tone, call out and I can answer with no problems whatsoever, but I don't get any AT response......(like RING, BUSY, NO ANSWER etc).

I am not talking to another modem.....I'm calling a telephone number.

(But it's my understanding, that doesn't matter).

These are "connection progress" messages I should be getting from the originating modem to it's PC and after all. like I say, I get an OK on any other good command.

Thanks so much for any help on this.

Reply to
mkrnews

The modem generally can't detect that some (human) has answered the line, but it should time out eventually with a "NO ANSWER". (If you hit space/enter/etc. the modem should drop the line and report "NO ANSWER" or somesuch as well...)

One of the "S" registers defined how long the timeout is, although most terminal software with built-in dialing functionality had their own timeouts since the defaults for many modems were rather long (e.g., 30-60 seconds).

How long did you wait?

What modem are you using?

--Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I got some bad information from someone, it looks like.

I've been expecting to see RING from my (originating) modem, when it appears that you only get a RING from an incoming call.

? (can you confirm?)

I do now see a BUSY and RING using hyperterminal but like I say I've been spending days thinking in terms of getting RING from an outgoing call.

I need to look closer at those S registers -- it may be my only way of doing what I want.

Reply to
mkrnews

That's correct -- modems don't detect ringing on the destination line.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Check the ATXn setting. That lets you choose how detailed dial results are.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

You really need an AT command set, and to read the thing end to end! In the old days, modems came with a proper manual (on dead tree) that explained all this in gruesome detail.

Have you accidentally stored settings that will turn off some of the responses? You used to be able to adjust the level of reporting from the modem. From my old modem manual ...

ATQ0 Result messages turned on These are "connection progress" messages I should be getting from the

Try ATQ0 ATV1 ATX4 and see what happens. Maybe you'll get more responses back?

It's been a while since I messed with any of this :)

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

A good ol' Motorola 9600 external was great for making it dial. I used it to speed dial radio stations during contests..

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

They do, however, immediately detect a busy, which can be considered just as conclusive for the next step.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I thought most modems had a verbose VS silent mode...

Reply to
Robert Baer

That's my understanding as well. Most modems have configuration registers into with which you can control modem behavior, including the kinds and number of progress messages.

Unlike the basic AT command set, many of these are modem specific, so the documentation for that particular model must be consulted.

RAM disk is *not* an installation procedure.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Maybe you posted it before and i missed it. Just what is the exact make model and revision of each modem you have tried. Where does a non-owner get the command set references for each make, model and revision of modem you have tried? What specialized software does each modem come with? Where do you find any file format specifications needed? Throw us some bones here.

Reply to
JosephKK

I have used a number of differnt modems since the late 80's or whenever Hayes came out with their 1200 baud modem. Their command set was copied with little variation by others tht saw the popularity (and sales) of the Hayes modem. You cannot be far astray on using that command set, which should still be available on the web.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes and no. I found 4 different series of voice modem command sets. They are not interchangeable.

Reply to
JosephKK

sounds like you are not waiting long enough

Reply to
Jasen Betts