Mil surplus "zoo upset" relocations

Here's the map of the latest attempt of the military to save surplus costs by moving stuff thousands of miles:

More at

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

When I was at my Great Lakes base about a month ago, I asked them about it and they said that they are going to stay around. I surely hope so.

Perhaps it is the DRMS sites that are moved and not government liquidation sites? Ie, my Great Lakes GL site sells stuff from all over the country.

I just brought home three large radiators, obviously never taken out of the crates, billed as unserviceable.

``Asset coding: in a 2005 audit, GAO raise concerns regarding the Military Services turning in serviceable property as unserviceable. In our efforts to correct this, we discovered that a key problem was that property was being coded as unserviceable because it was obsolete for the current user and was being replaced by newer and better technology.''

So these genuises are slowly discovering the issues from which thousands of people have been profiting for years.

Ignoramus21657

Years ago I got a Collins R390A IF module for really cheap. It had a tag from some repair center with "unrepairable" on it.

Yep, it didnt work very well, signals were about 60db down from optimum. Tracing through the stages, I come across an IF amplifier tube where the grid signal is healthy but the plate signal was near zilch. Aha! A bad tube or IF transformer most likely. Nope. Looking closely at the connections, somebody had soldered the plate decoupling capacitor to the plate side of the IF transformer. A really nice solder joint. I moved the capacitor to the correct pin and all was well after that.

Kinda lowered my opinion of the repair centers, when they not only made a semi-comical mistake, also were not able to fix this rather obvious problem.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

I used google maps to show my sons my boot cmap barracks (fairly new in

1969).

It has been levelled.

SO I used google maps to show my sons the barracks I lived in at NAS Millington, TN (brand nw in 1969-70).

It has been levelled.

Suddenly, I felt old.

Reply to
Richard Henry

That's my most typical experience, second most frequent after the experience of finding "unserviceable" stuff being perfectly serviceable.

I have become really good at "lightly fixing stuff", which typically includes things like replacing blown fuses or cleaning outlets of injector pumps etc.

There is a very good possibility that they did it on purpose to get rid of stuff that they want to get rid of.

Ignoramus21657

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:00:15 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus21657 Gave us:

Closing a facility and moving its contents to another location is certainly cheaper than the daily operating costs of the facility are.

You could always start up a mil surplus shop, and an ebay page or such. You'd be amazed at the demand for some of that stuff. The big mil shop out here in El Cajon does quite well.

Reply to
JoeBloe

On 1 Dec 2006 08:32:35 -0800, "Richard Henry" Gave us:

Bahahahahahaha! At least Orlando is still there.

But I still feel old as well.

Reply to
JoeBloe