MFJ-993 Radio Tuner

My father has an MFJ-993

and it doesn't work. Here are the symptoms:

All tests pass OK, Frequency Counter doesn't seem to work but LCD does, Can manually tune it. (I don't know if all these are exactly true or not but just from what I've been told)

I'm guessing that it's the frequency counter part of the circuit that is bad and the pic cannot get the frequency for some reason.

The frequency section consists of a 74HC14, 2 transistors, 2 resistors(103 and 562), and a few caps(4 to 5). (I'm guessing that this is the frequency counter section)

The two transistors both seem to have holes in them. I'm not sure that they are bad or not though as they are sot-23's but the tiny holes don't seem to be on any of the other transistors. (I'd bet they are bad)

Also, they seem to be used as diodes. I only say this because they are marked DXX instead of QXX like all the other transistors. Again I'm just guessing.

Any ideas? I'd like to replace these transistors but I have no idea what they are... NPN's? PNP's? Nch fets? etc... I think the numbers on them are

587, 5D7 or 507. The 7 is sidewise too.

This is what I'm guessing they are:

I'm going to go ahead and replace them with normal diodes and hope for the best.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Well, it's not the diodes... or at least wasn't the only problem ;/

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Replaced the 74HC14 with a 74F04 and it did give a frequency reading but wasn't accurate. I hope this means it was the 74HC14 causing the problems(chip did seem bad as it didn't invert when I tested it).

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Hey Jon,

Did you note the warranty info in the MFJ manual???? NOT void if you try to service it. They also seem to offer repair consultation if you call them. I'd give it a try.

al

Reply to
eyezkubed

wow, I didn't see that but I've never seen that before either. In any case it was the hex inverters.. after replacing with the proper chip it worked.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter