MC34063 vs MC34063A types

I read in sci.electronics.design that René wrote (in ) about 'MC34063 vs MC34063A types', on Fri, 30 Sep 2005:

Is it too simplistic to ask the manufacturer?

John Woodgate

Hi all,

I am looking for the actual difference between MC34063 vs MC34063A;

I have the idea that the "A" type allows setting of the output latch anywhere in the "T-on" period, while the "non-A" only conducts for the full T-on period.

It seems remarkably hard to verify this in data sheets I managed to find while googling.

While I am at it, I see a lot of std applications where the current limiting mechanism of this chip (limiting T-on) will drive the switching frequeny way above the specified 100 KHz limit. Specifically in buck applications, the freq close to max load is for fair bit dependent on T-off, so that Fmin needs to be calculated a lot lower than 100 Khz. Any advise here?

Anybody knows where to find the truth? TIA!

--
 - René
Reply to

I read in sci.electronics.design that René wrote (in ) about 'MC34063 vs MC34063A types', on Fri, 30 Sep 2005:

E-mail.

Oh, never do that. Make up a notepaper heading in Word and become 'Renelectronics International Designs'. Or something.

I didn't mean to brush you off. I asked **whether** asking the manufacturer was an option. You might have already tried and failed, or were not satisfied for some reason.

John Woodgate

As in reading the datasheets from various vendors? All I can find is A types. But I have also a non A-type spice model so it must exist somewhere.

Privately calling a manufacturer from Holland is an option off course

- but more costly than using this newsgroup. Or approaching a sales rep (as a private person)?

Never underestimate my simplicity. Some kind soul might educate me in a few monosyllabic words. But then again - I might not deserve it. Sorry to waste your time.

--
 - René
Reply to

This could very well be. However the intriguing point is that I downloaded some spice models from ONSEMI, and this model yields 2 selections that actually behave differently. The onsemi datasheet does not make any mention of a difference, nor does the AN920 application manual seem to carry any info here. (unless I skipped it somehow - which is also known to happen :-)

BTW - fun to simulate these workhorse parts; for me it was a lot more instructing than making the calculations. There seems to be a large room for optimalisation towards specific uses of this very cheap part.

--
 - René
Reply to

Could it be a second cut of the die, with the exact same specs? I know that there are certain manufacturers will append a letter to the part number when they revise the silicon.

Reply to
The Real Andy