magnet flux modeling FEA type program

A while back I used i used a program called Vizimag to model the flux field of a small sensor magnet while using confirming the levels were sufficient that the the reed switches would reliabily actuate when the magnet passes them.

Now the program seems unsupported and I'd like to purchase it or one similar to it.

Here is the download link form softpedia if you want to take a peek.

Here is the tutorial so you can see what it is capable of.

Have any of you guys played with this program and know how to contact the author to register it? The email address in the program bounces back.

If not do you know of a similar program that doesn't require a lot of effort to setup and run like this one.

Just draw the dimensions and strength of the magnet, place materials around it with magnetic permeability > 1 then hit go to see the flux lines and measure the flux strength at various parts of the magnet circuit.

thanks

Reply to
Mook Johnson

FEMM (Finite Element Magnetics Modeling) might do what you want.

It's free, and does electric fields, and heat flow, too.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

X2 on FEMM, pretty easy to learn by following the examples. From the manual:

FEMM is a suite of programs for solving low frequency electromagnetic problems on two-dimensional planar and axisymmetric domains. The program currently addresses linear/nonlinear magnetostatic problems, linear/nonlinear time harmonic magnetic problems, linear electrostatic problems, and steady-state heat flow problems.

Elmer is another freeware program that does general 3D but has a much steeper learning curve that I haven't finished climbing yet :-). Both are under current development. Sorry to hear about Vizimag, I was about to register it when I found femm.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

FEMM (Finite Element Magnetics Modeling) might do what you want.

It's free, and does electric fields, and heat flow, too.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)
Reply to
Carl Ijames

Google on Beeteson vizimag JS Beeteson (tutorial) John Stuart Beeteson mathemetician and retired IBM engineer wrote a book and this program supports that book. "Visualising Magnetic Fields: Numerical Equation Solvers in Action" developer listed alternately as John or Stuart Beeteson for Vizimag 3.18 July 9 2011

The Institution of Engineering and Technology It is with much regret that the IET records the deaths of previous members. Beeteson, John Stuart, of Skelmorlie, Ayrshire died in July of 2013

--
John S. Beeteson retired as a senior research scientist at IBM Greenock in
1998 after 20 years with IBM. He holds 40 US patents and many others worldw