Magamp oscillator (2023 Update)

Been doing some modelling in head, as i do not know how to do Spice nonlinear inductors, and a few other things.

Since nobody wants to tell how the Bell ring generator works, here are some (known?) parameters needed to design one from scratch: 1. One non-linear inductor, value in order of 1Hy. 2. 60Hz drive "pump" signal. 3. Hybrid transformer used mainly to cancel the 60Hz from/at the output. 4. At least one non-polarized capacitor, value in order of 1uF. 5. Parametric amplifier design needed, may need another winding on hybrid for feedback to oscillate.

There is an indication that DC might be used in place of the 60Hz drive,but it seems to me that makes the start-up harder.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Nice! Stable after only 10 cycles input. Use "u" for micro symbol.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • 200mA out with a measly 750 WATTS in????

Got me confused WRT U.S. Coast Guard LORAN...

"Demonic"? Any ogres, griffons, witches or other nasties?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I used LTSpice IV and saw no complaints.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It is a parametric amplifier; naturally there should be gain.

Reply to
Robert Baer

A _driven_ pendulum may be an oscillator (under the proper conditions).

Reply to
Robert Baer

In the old days, it was simply a motor-generator that ran off 48 Vdc (the main office battery) and generated 20 Hz. No electronics. A mechanical commutator driven off the motor-generator shaft interrupted the continuous 20 Hz into the one second on four seconds off AT&T ring cadence. All five commutator phases were used, so the load on the 20 Hz generator was roughly constant.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

We've been over this (many times) but I propose that it also needs feedback, else what's driving it is the oscillator and the pendulum is a resonator (or filter).

Reply to
krw

yes! it irratates me when people say "every thing that can be invented hes been invented." however mealy mouthed they are about it. to make a magamp oscillator you will need;

1) a meadium resister 2) enough suitable wire to wind 3 equal coils 3) (1 bitt core ) 1 torroidal core and 1 broken torroidal core, that can be glued on to the side of the compleat torroid to make a bitorroidal transformer core with air gaps. onto the common leg of the bitt core wind the main coil, conect one end the the battery the other end becomes the ac out put on a dc bias. the second coil is wound on the main torroid, so as to oppose the direction of the magnetic flux from the main coil, when it is conected via the resister to the lead from the battery. the third (comtrole) coil is wound onto the air gapped leg of the bitt core. it is in series with the second coil and is wound so as to further desaturate the core through the main coil. and conected back to the opposit side of the battery. electricaly that is; battery, main coil, the ac outout is between the end of that coil and the battery. battery, resister, second coil, third coil, battery. the action the power is switched on, the flux in the torroidal side of the bitt gose towards saturation. the transformer action between the main coil and coil 2 stops any corrent flowing through the resister, or that circuit. the core saturates, there is no more transformer action, the curent flows through coils 2 and 3 starting to desaturate the core. increasing the resistance in the main coil. by transformer action the falling curent in the main coil increases the current in coils 2 and 3, driving the core towards saturation in the revers direction. the core saturates and the dc curent from the battery through the main coil becomes dominant and the cycle repeats. this might be useful for thing like electric car in hot climbets.
Reply to
john

<snip>

Cores don't saturate at a particular current, but at particular number of ampere-turns. If you can wind enough turns of very fine wire around your core, 0.40mA would saturate it. 50A/metre is a ball-park figure. For an RM8 core the magnetic path length is about 40mm so 2Ain one turn would do it, or 0.4ma in 10,000 turns - which would be down close to 0.1mm OD enameled copper wire on an RM 8 core, which is finer than I could wind. Professional coil winders could do it,.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Your link is to a 'mirrored' SED thread that's 7 years ols.

Your description is of magnetic material and copper wire that does NOTHING, given the manual power switch as its only active element.

RL

Reply to
legg

doing a bit more reading i came across an old papper by the us navy that includes a free running multivibrator. that is a square (ish) wave oscillator.

going back to my suggested design above just to say it is based on the joule thief. the main coil and coil 2, are wound as for the joule thief and serve the same function. controle coil 3 and the main coil do the switching / take the place of the transister.

from my reading i would suggest having more turns on coil 2, backed up with a diode to ensure that the current only flows in the right direction.

Reply to
john