Magamp oscillator (2023 Update)

LMGTFY. "Degenerate parametric amplifier" varactor

Result #2:

See Figure 23 on P. 66 for an interesting degenerate paramp circuit, and Section 2.3.2 starting on P. 30 for discussion.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The active element of an oscillator, fed from a power supply, adds enough energy to overcome losses in the resonator.

A parametrically pumped resonator does that. The words that you use don't change the reality. If you define an oscillator as not having a gain element, then it doesn't for you.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

And this one works down to a Q of 10, and works well at a Q of 19 (as shown).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

=============== Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE 416 80 272 80 WIRE 512 80 416 80 WIRE 512 96 512 80 WIRE 272 112 272 80 WIRE 416 144 416 80 WIRE 64 192 -32 192 WIRE 272 192 272 176 WIRE 272 192 144 192 WIRE 512 192 512 176 WIRE -32 208 -32 192 WIRE 272 272 272 256 WIRE 416 272 416 208 WIRE 416 272 272 272 WIRE 512 272 416 272 WIRE -32 304 -32 288 WIRE 416 304 416 272 FLAG 416 304 0 FLAG -32 304 0 SYMBOL varactor 256 112 R0 SYMATTR InstName D1 SYMATTR Value KV1471 SYMBOL varactor 288 256 R180 WINDOW 0 24 64 Left 2 WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName D2 SYMATTR Value KV1471 SYMBOL cap 400 144 R0 SYMATTR InstName C1 SYMATTR Value 1000p SYMBOL ind 496 80 R0 SYMATTR InstName L1 SYMATTR Value 10u SYMBOL res 48 208 R270 WINDOW 0 32 56 VTop 2 WINDOW 3 0 56 VBottom 2 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 100 SYMBOL voltage -32 192 R0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMATTR Value SINE(5 10 3meg 1u) SYMBOL res 496 176 R0 SYMATTR InstName R2 SYMATTR Value 5R TEXT 40 88 Left 2 !.tran 100u

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I don't know why you include his thesis. He is talking about standard parametric upconverters using two input signals, similar to a mixer. These are well-known and understood.

We are talking about frequency halver using a single input frequency. I refer you to Jeroen or Legg's circuits.

I am waiting for a list of commercial vendors of frequency halvers that you said could be bought with no problem. I am not talking about a standard parametric down converter that requires a pump signal.

Reply to
Bruce S

That does have DC current in the diodes, as do some of the other circuits posted here. There may be something else going on, some SRD effect maybe. Especially in the divide by 2 or 3 circuits that output the occasional big spike.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Thanks! Now we are talking. I had come across several dual varactor frequency halvers using microstrip transmission lines at GHz frequencies.

Your circuit moves this down to a lower frequency where standard components can be used.

Note that ordinary diodes won't work. It needs the varactors. And it needs two of them, not just one like Jeroen and Legg's circuits.

It works only at half the input frequency. It won't work at F/3 or F/4.

Now the trick will be to find the phase noise. If it can divide the input frequency with lower phase noise than a regular d-flop, it could have some significant application in my work.

Single varactor or diode circuits : Out. Hobbs Halver : In.

Thanks.

Reply to
Bruce S

OK, there is no feedback and no gain.

It doesn't. Words mean things.

Reply to
krw

Well...

Reply to
krw

The active element certainly has gain. The oscillator itself has no definable gain because it has no input.

Yes, and you can play with them endlessly.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

This is a joke version of the circuit offered by Jeroen. It uses a generic rectifier with low Cj.

Realistic source impedance in the 'pump' is enough to kill it.

Aren't models great?

RL

Reply to
legg

We're not alone. Wiki thinks that a pendulum is an oscillator.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Unfortunately, I found that silicon varactors are quite noisy at microwave frequencies. GaAs are quieter but expensive. This probably kills the dual varactor divider, but this piece of information has a direct bearing on using varactors in vco's at microwave frequencies. It has probably saved me a great deal of work and wasted time and money, so it was well worth the search.

Reply to
Bruce S

It is common knowledge in electronics; that oscillators don't.

RL

Reply to
legg

On a sunny day (Wed, 11 Nov 2015 20:01:04 GMT) it happened Bruce S wrote in :

flipflops... Or did you mean something else?

;-)

(I take no side on this, but am curious)

flipflops

:-)

BTW there are other ways, old organs had neons. These guys talk about using solid state diodes named DIAC: http://

?topic=87511.0

Never tried that, but also a 2 terminal device.

There is more I am sure.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Magamp Flipflop!!

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

On a sunny day (Thu, 12 Nov 2015 06:36:37 -0500) it happened muesly wrote in :

There exists relays that you can set with a pulse to one state or the other (bipolar). Sort of a set-reset flipflop. Long time ago I made an oscillator for Christmas lights with a relay and a capacitor, bended the contacts a bit to get the right on-off time.

If it must be a solid state diode, I wonder if you can use photoelectric effect (change in reverse conductance diode) and some galvanometer vane that intercepts the light to make an oscillator (without mechanical contacts).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Have you ever tried pumping up a swing by standing on the seat and just moving your center of mass up and down? You need a bit of motion for it to work.. after which you are going like gang busters in no time. Careful not to fall off! (I'm still a kid at heart.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There are solar powered knick knacks, some of which involve an oscillating vane covering a photovoltaic device.

Google "solar powered knick knack"

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

That's when they lose meaning. See: leftist (doublespeak)

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Thu, 12 Nov 2015 11:02:45 -0500) it happened muesly wrote in :

Cool :) How 'bout this:

( Translation: Solar powered cockroach: When the sun shines on the back of this cockroach it starts to dance.. it sits quiet in the shadow)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje