low voltage LED

Wow, light emission at 36% of bandgap voltage.

I have speculated here about that, how low a current and voltage can make light. I should have run that experiment.

Reply to
jlarkin

Let's. Have come a long way. Today's LEDs at 5ma are insane in brightness.

Martin Rid

A decent LED is visible in room light at 1 uA. I have seen a green LED at 1 nA. I didn't measure the voltage.

One could drive an LED with a square wave and detect with a PMT, do a lockin thing to get the statistics down to sub-photon resolution.

Below bandgap emission voltage is interesting physics. If the energy is electrical+thermal, does an emitted photon make the chip colder?

So, what voltage is 36% of bandgap voltage ? Or, what is the comparative bandgap voltage ?

We use some LEDs running at around 300 nA

boB

Reply to
boB

That depends on how efficient the laser is.

Reply to
Jasen Betts