Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpart

Could some electronics guru please help ? I am looking for a very low(few milliVolts) VTO commercially available NMOS, and its corresponding PMOS. I am trying to use a reverse biased photodiode(very low output current) to trigger a PMOS. The output voltage could then be used to trigger ideally a BJT. Any hints, suggestiosn would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
amal banerjee

What is VTO?

I don't think such a part exists. A photodiode might just barely turn on a high-beta bipolar transisor.

What's the open-circuit voltage of the photodiode? What's the current? Is a power supply available? If the pd is back-biased by a supply, you'd have lots of voltage available to turn on a mosfet.

A lithium battery might power a micropower comparator for decades.

VTO: Vertical Take Off

Reply to
John Smiht

I think they meant V-turn-on?

Strange sub threshold behaviors exist but I know nothing about them.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

That's what amplifiers are for.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
jeroen

I've seen transistors do that. Just apply 100x rated power

Reply to
Tabby

A TO92 is what I think of as a transistor-on-the-half-shell.

Reply to
John Smiht

Or maybe V-turn-off?

Reply to
John Smiht

Sorry for the confusion. 'VTO' means threshold voltage for the mosfet. The candidate photodiode is BPW31|34. The datasheet contains the following data: Open circuit voltage : 440 mV In reverse bias, the diode is open circuit, so current should flow. The dark current is 12 pA.

Reply to
amal banerjee

Advanced Linear Devices make mos discretes with turn-on voltages dialable down to zero.

RL

Reply to
legg

Yes, but the turn-on is trimmed, not made abrupt, so 'down to zero' is more of a gain specification than a full switch threshold. JFETs have been available for zero-threshold for years, and were quite useful for low-leakage input applications.

Reply to
whit3rd

Your signal (a photocurrent) is fast? And you want to switch according to that current?

There's very little voltage gain in a single MOS device, and what you want might be to avoid current lost to charging the photodiode stray capacitance (i.e. you want near-zero dV/dt); a good receiver for a photodiode with low current output is an op amp with resistor negative feedback, i.e. a transimpedance amplifier. That way, there's negligible delta-V.

Reply to
whit3rd

Totally in agreement about the op-amp transimpedance amplifier. However, the gain-bandwidth-product of even high end op-amps certainly would not extend beyond some 10s of MHz.

Reply to
amal banerjee